TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

June 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Mark Stahlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2018 11:46:19 -0600
Hello ToKers:

Over the weekend an old friend of mine posted a link to Gregg's PT
blog/articles and I was lucky to catch him before he left town.  We
had a chance to talk yesterday when he generously invited me to join
this fascinating group . . . !!

As I typically do when I'm in new place like this, I dig into the
archives and, among many other things, this is what I found, "A
central theme of this society is on how the human technology interface
is going to change the landscape and essence of our beings in the next
50 years."  Yes, that was Gregg speaking about an article in Atlantic
by Henry Kissinger.  As it turns out we know HA(n)K pretty well (even
scanned his unpublished Harvard senior thesis, "The Meaning of
History"). . . <g>

I suspect the what-does-technology-do-to-us? topic will be the one
that I can contribute the most about, since I run the Center for the
Study of Digital Life and our Mission Statement says, "We believe that
digital technologies have generated a new psycho-technological
environment, previously unknown to humans, which has already
fundamentally reshaped our behaviors and attitudes."

www.digitallife.center

I'm a 70 year-old "strategic adviser" whose career was mostly in the
computer industry and on Wall Street and the Center's co-founder is a
retired Naval Intelligence officer, so you could say that we've seen
the world (go round and round).  My father was a historian of ancient
mathematics and a protege of Norbert Wiener and together they coined
the term "Cybernetics" in 1946.  My undergraduate major (for a while)
was "neuro-psychology," before I left pre-med and settled on
"evolutionary genetics" and "Buddhist theology" (UW-Mad, 1970),
followed by two never completed DD/PhDs: Theology (UofChicago) in
Molecular Biology (UW-Mad).

I will hold off on making any substantive posts until Gregg returns
from his well-deserved vacation but, as a preview, I was the "last
student" of Julian Jaynes and have more recently been collaborating
with Merlin Donald, the evolutionary neuro-psychologist who made
Jaynes' work academically "respectable."

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.julianjaynes.org_conference_&d=DwIDaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=9KOrOw8VYrS59RkDzhFNOTOtg4V9wXhLgENi9QPbUGE&s=OZypC73FzjDnOcvfLXuhS2zus1JyMPN7ptF7kK5qQY0&e=

When Gregg gets back, perhaps we can have a conversation about their
work -- particularly the likelihood that we are now in a "fourth
stage" in our cognitive evolution as a result of digital technology .
. . ??

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.amazon.com_Origins-2DModern-2DMind-2DEvolution-2DCognition_dp_0674644840&d=DwIDaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=9KOrOw8VYrS59RkDzhFNOTOtg4V9wXhLgENi9QPbUGE&s=KG9JGQx-mYb6gSDO8iXXM347yEEIXCm5QIjUTNWD2G8&e=

Best,

Mark