TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

August 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Mark Stahlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2018 06:45:27 -0600
Gregg:

> They are qualitatively different kinds of behavioral complexity
> because they operate via different informational mediums.

Great -- now we're getting someplace.  Interesting that it is
"mediums" that *cause* (e.g. your use of "because") these
"qualitative" differences in "complexity" (aka what you call
"dimensions," I presume) . . . !!

Might you like to expand on this?  What is an "informational medium"
and how does it "cause" these differences?  Which sort of causality is
involved -- efficient, material, final or formal (or some other notion
of cause)?

I'm pretty familiar with "information theory" and "complexity science"
but I don't recall them making these distinctions.  Since using their
language while meaning something different can cause some problems,
perhaps a "glossary" that highlights how you are using these words --
contrasted with how others use them -- might be very helpful.

As you might recall, Georg Cantor attempted to make a sort of
"qualitative hierarchy" of this sort in the 19th century with his
notions of "transfinites."  Is that the sort of thing you have in mind
. . . ??

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__en.wikipedia.org_wiki_Transfinite-5Fnumber&d=DwIDaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=s7ANMETRr_Bqc2CNbZx_JgtSJ0MrpRLTgVlfDmewBk0&s=FkAKAG1fpdsxCprPiMVCGd0Tl0CZ4D6tFz19FLCrawc&e=

The literature on civilizations is significant.  They rise and fall.
When they "forget" what got them going, they simply don't survive.
Christianity is that initiating force for the West.  Without it, there
is no West anymore and something else will take its place -- with
something else as that force.

In 1953, the Dutch futurist Fred Polak published his "Image of the
Future: Enlightening the Past, Orienting the Present, Forecasting the
Future," which got him invited to the first year of the CASBS, where
he "roomed" with Elise and Kenneth Boulding (who organized the event)
at Stanford. Elise then learned Dutch and translated it *twice* into
English -- once in full (1961) and then again as an "abridgement"
(1973).

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.amazon.com_image-2Dfuture-2DJossey-2DBass-2DElsevier-2Dinternational_dp_0875891527&d=DwIDaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=s7ANMETRr_Bqc2CNbZx_JgtSJ0MrpRLTgVlfDmewBk0&s=_BmAuxrX2vYql-gFecAjY-rrKuQ0ep6zdIF4DMFSOUo&e=

Elise was also engaged with Willis Harman's *infamous* "Changing
Images of Man" exercise in this period -- along with many other
interesting people -- and, when it was finally published in 1982
(after circulating for a decade among the insiders), she penned a note
included as an appendix titled "An alternative view of history, the
spiritual dimension of the human person, and a third alternative image
of humanness."  Both Elise and her husband, the famous Oxford-trained
economist, considered themselves to be Quaker "mystics."

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.global-2Dvision.org_papers_changing-2Dimages-2Dof-2Dman.pdf&d=DwIDaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=s7ANMETRr_Bqc2CNbZx_JgtSJ0MrpRLTgVlfDmewBk0&s=UkgFVmAbnDi5BqFD1SdDHfZjc_10mKkJ87sIm49NfO0&e=

As Jamie has detailed, Teilhard de Chardin also had an "image of the
future" as a Jesuit priest.  So does Kevin Kelly as a born-again
Christian.  So did the Bouldings.  Without what Aristotle would call a
"final cause" civilization breaks down and simply doesn't function.

The point that Polak made was that without Christianity something else
would need to be substituted -- or else the West would be finished.
In his own work, he concluded that we were in for a "futureless
future."  Elise summarized every chapter in the original 2-volume book
except that one.  Polak was an "atheist" and Elise wasn't.  For her
there was a "New Age" of spirituality that would take over from
Christianity.  I've been told that Marilyn Ferguson's 1980 "The
Aquarian Conspiracy: Personal and Social Transformation in Our Time"
was supposed to be the "public" version of this promotional effort.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.amazon.com_Aquarian-2DConspiracy-2DPersonal-2DSocial-2DTransformation_dp_0874774586&d=DwIDaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=s7ANMETRr_Bqc2CNbZx_JgtSJ0MrpRLTgVlfDmewBk0&s=7cQAmTvfSHAIFJnzua5bidNrTAGEWh7F_KmoQdmRoDs&e=

Under *electric* conditions, the "New Age" was always the "plan," or
so it seems.  A.R. Orage published his "The New Age" from 1907-22 and
many influential authors of the time wrote for it.  Are you also
planning for some sort of a spiritual "New Age" to replace West
civilization (like Kevin, Teilhard, Elise and so many others) and, if
not, then what . . . ??

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__en.wikipedia.org_wiki_The-5FNew-5FAge&d=DwIDaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=s7ANMETRr_Bqc2CNbZx_JgtSJ0MrpRLTgVlfDmewBk0&s=l9HeAmqEsVjkldyx4paoMZHPsjh6uJB5L7gMX9CY528&e=

Mark

P.S. For those enamored of Tolkien's "Middle Earth" or perhaps his
fellow "Scribbler," C.S. Lewis, and his Narnia, these were people also
trying to provide an "image of the future."  Lewis, once a publicly
declared atheist, in particular, thought that Christ-as-myth would be
the answer.  As a result, he is widely cited today as an "apologist"
for Christianity -- while actually holding turning it into what
McLuhan called "Christianity for the non-Christians."  Yes, he wasn't
alone in that attempt.

P.P.S. It was Ken Boulding's hope to use what he called "Eiconics" to
promote this new spirituality.  This was, as best I can tell, the
first attempt (of many) to describe what has become known as "memes."
If culture is to "reproduce" -- which in this case means something to
take-over in the West -- it needs a "medium" in which to do that.  He
detailed this in his 1956 book, "The Image: Knowledge in Life and
Society," which then became a term used by many others in their
treatments of parallel efforts.  What interests us, btw, isn't
"images" (which belong to the perceptual domain of Imagination) but
rather "memories" (which belong to the other domain of Memory, that is
now being emphasized by our *digital* environment -- or what McLuhan
called a "medium.")

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.amazon.com_Image-2DKnowledge-2DSociety-2DArbor-2DPaperbacks_dp_0472060473&d=DwIDaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=s7ANMETRr_Bqc2CNbZx_JgtSJ0MrpRLTgVlfDmewBk0&s=bBXDYmclFEfJEolDMGvznYWLueqZJxsT5bQgiPmRleM&e=

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.amazon.com_Mere-2DChristianity-2DC-2DS-2DLewis_dp_0060652926&d=DwIDaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=s7ANMETRr_Bqc2CNbZx_JgtSJ0MrpRLTgVlfDmewBk0&s=oBSu6eEz7lJRa9Ifs-VrUHveTJ2y4VK7xlZlj3pa_RM&e=