TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

July 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Mark Stahlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2018 05:40:55 -0600
Jamie:

Welcome to the list -- so let me mention a few things that we've
recently been discussing that you might find interesting.

One of them is the shift from an ELECTRIC "paradigm" to a DIGITAL one
(c. 2000) -- which aligns with Gregg's vision that we are on some sort
of a "precipice" and that it is this change that will allow his
"unified theory" to gain wider acceptance.

These *paradigms* come from the "technium" (a Kevin Kelly term) and
they "shape our behavior and and attitudes."  Kelly made Marshall
McLuhan the "Patron Saint" of Wired Magazine, and my Center is based
on McLuhan's work, so I wonder if you've had a chance to look at any
of what he said?

The problem of "authority" (or, if you will, "totalizing systems") is
one that we are going to face -- big time.  Throughout our lives, we
have been told that we are "free" (i.e. anti-authority) but, as many
suspect, that was largely an "engineered" fantasy (underpinning the
Cold War &c.)

In 1941, Gregory Bateson commented on a presentation by his then-wife,
Margaret Mead, about what was needed in "psychological warfare" terms.
  He suggested a "maze in which the anthropomorphic rats have the
illusion of free-will" and, right on schedule, much of cognitive
psychology (and philosophy) came to the conclusion that we really
don't have anything of that sort (but we'll pretend that we do anyway,
leading to "compatibilism" &c.)

You seem to be trying to figure out what happens under DIGITAL
conditions (which is indeed what we all need to do), while using the
same language that was current under ELECTRIC conditions (i.e. where
most of your references come from.)

Have you considered that those folks you've been reading were trying
to "solve" a different *paradigm* (which is now obsolete) and that we
need a new "language game" for our new circumstances . . . ??

Mark