TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

June 2020

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
"Diop, Corinne Joan Martin - diopcj" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jun 2020 15:31:14 +0000
Hi Cole,

I am just wondering, who will be reading your post that you are addressing this to and why do you feel the need to post it?

It's not that I don't agree with you in the long run, I am just wondering what point it serves for you to announce this now. Your pleas for a compassionate and non-divisive system might be a bit too ironic? Maybe right now it's time for people to be collectively angry and to expose the racism that has been accepted as normal, to expose the individual and collective shadows, and so it is not time to tell people who are finally finding their voice how they should treat others, even if some of it is painful to others or even misguided and destructive. Maybe they have earned the right to be angry and the love and compassion needs to be for them, not from them.

It would be incredibly moving if you were to state this in first person in a way that shows how vulnerable you feel, something like what you said in the zoom yesterday-- I am trying to change and understand what is going on right now and the labels and divisiveness really paralyze me. I want to learn and help, but feel like I am treated like the enemy. What can I do?

Black people who have been unwillingly suppressed and rightfully enraged for a long time are finally being heard and supported by others who are validating what they already knew. Nothing changed, and maybe (only maybe) now it will.

I sincerely hope a strong, nonviolent leader (or several) will emerge for this movement, and then the journey you're asking for can begin.

Does this make sense?

FYI, I have no background in psychology or counseling. I am white but have seem the pain of my Black husband and mixed (so Black) son and have been appalled. I have often thought about how much easier my life would have been if I had married someone white (it is all about me, right?) Our life together is a constant negotiation that is hard to explain-- and my response to you comes out of what I know from that.

In love and hope,

Corinne

Corinne Diop
(she/her/hers)