TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

January 2019

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Steven Quackenbush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2019 17:53:41 -0500
Hello Lonny,

I would like to echo Chance's words of thanks for your illuminating posts.
  You've managed to put into words something I've merely intuited about the
"digitalization" of our cultural life.

The following passage resonated especially strongly with me:

   - "*The problem with intellectualizing life, is that we try to imagine
   life after injury or death. As a result, we care less and less about the
   living structures that keep us alive - because what we mainly care about is
   our mental story, not this colony of cells (or planet) which has been our
   physical companion lifelong.*" (emphasis added).

As a developmental psychologist with a longstanding interest in the
"narrative study of lives" (especially the McAdams tradition), it has taken
me quite some time to realize that we need to be as concerned with the
organic (and psychosocial) *conditions of possibility* for our stories as
we are with the stories themselves.   Further, it does well to remember
that we can never "narrate" our way out of pain.   *Experienced* pain is an
absolute that cannot be negated by any act of cognition (even as we do what
we can to "manage" it).

~ Steve Q.

On Sun, Jan 6, 2019 at 4:04 PM Lonny Meinecke <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Thanks for your kind words Chance :)
> Lonny

> write to: mailto:[log in to unmask]
> or click the following link:

Steven W. Quackenbush, Ph.D., Chair
Division of Psychology & Human Development
University of Maine, Farmington
Farmington, ME 04938
(207) 778-7518