TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

June 2020

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Leland Beaumont <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jun 2020 11:58:48 -0400
Brent,

Thanks for these extensive comments.

I will address many.

Regarding consensus, scientific consensus is an important piece of evidence, but is not definitive. There are many examples where scientific consensus has turned out to be group think rather than reflecting reality. The causes of postpartum infections <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__en.wikipedia.org_wiki_Postpartum-5Finfections-23-2522The-5FDoctor-27s-5FPlague-2522&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=YB_wRVsc5fw5J-wQTqDIUBX2I3ywxZllAbiDkL8j8R8&s=mR3U12JiTb25y0vwvqAREErwxAbLtTsexzuZKRPR2ug&e= > , and the role of h. pylori <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__en.wikipedia.org_wiki_Helicobacter-5Fpylori&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=YB_wRVsc5fw5J-wQTqDIUBX2I3ywxZllAbiDkL8j8R8&s=lqhbd1GY7fGpjgIIFzFAYAKPI0t5-jOASm8bdJNVZcI&e= >  in ulcers are two prominent examples. While popular opinions are vital in politics, they are often irrelevant and often misleading regarding matters of fact. The thinking scientifically course (linked from the essay) addresses the importance of openness (See: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__en.wikiversity.org_wiki_Thinking-5FScientifically-23Openness&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=YB_wRVsc5fw5J-wQTqDIUBX2I3ywxZllAbiDkL8j8R8&s=kUwy5FYM-Sq7ybEUiUI-ZKMqjtOFhk3Wyq2-k09cP80&e=  ) including collaboration, peer review, publication, transparency, describing uncertainty, and reproducibility, which are all related to forming consensus.

Regarding expertise, you remind us that expertise is domain specific. I have updated the essay to say “relevant expertise” rather than simply expertise. Thanks for this improvement.

I agree that motivated reasoning is a prevalent distraction. I list it in the first bullet on sound arguments.

Thanks for mentioning the Wright brothers; I am a big fan. Prior to December 1903 claims about the possibility of powered flight were matters of conjecture and not matters of fact. I agree the Wright brothers were optimistic, enthusiastic, hopeful, driven, resourceful, pragmatic, and hardworking, but those mental states were irrelevant to the fact that flight had not yet been achieved. Many alchemists driven by the audacity of hope worked diligently yet failed to turn lead into gold. The laws of physics often prevail over the most diligent motivations.

I find it remarkable that when I ask someone “how do you know?” after they express some strongly held belief, they are often taken aback. People seem remarkably ready to strongly defend beliefs they have obtained rather arbitrarily. (A friend told me, everyone knows it, this makes me feel good, I have always believe this…)

Expecting people to describe “how they know” before they energetically work to defend their beliefs, may help us erode polarization.

Thanks,

Lee Beaumont