TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

March 2024

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Steve Beller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
UTOK Society listserv <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 2024 11:34:10 -0400
Where can I find "A New Synthesis?"

When I was in graduate school (late '70s), I was an oddball student in my clinical psychology class. I examined the psychotherapeutic process from a scientific standpoint and was the only student to have the head of the experimental psychology department as my thesis advisor.

When I started practicing as a therapist, I wanted to know as much as possible about the internal and external aspects of my clients' lives regarding the relationship between cognition, affect, behaviors, environment, and physiological factors related to psychological distress and maladaptive functioning/coping.

When personal computers first entered the market, I started using them to build models for collecting, analyzing, organizing, and presenting information that builds knowledge that supports clinical decisions and engages clients in the therapeutic process by gaining profound knowledge about themselves, their choices, and their options. Over three & a half decades, I developed and used software programs successfully as part of my practice for adolescents and adults. It evolved into a toolset for building biopsychosocial knowledge. When it came to crucial issues such as life meaning and purpose, defining the self, and religion, I focused on metaphysical explanations, as I discussed in the previous post.

I hope to share what I've learned and the tools we've developed with psychology students. Practitioners from my generation are rarely interested in a holistic/whole-person approach supported by health information technology.

- Steve Beller