TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

January 2019

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Mark Stahlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jan 2019 05:59:57 -0700
Gregg:

Happy New Year (yes, 2019 is going to be a *big* one) . . . !!

As you know, in addition to being a "psychologist," I'm also a
"computer architect."  So, I'm familiar with both the human psyche and
how computers actually work.  And my conclusion is that "information
processing" is a very problematic metaphor in both cases.

What is "information"?  What does it mean to "process" it?  None of
that is clear.

There is no simple or agreed-upon answer to these questions.
"Information" has become a substitute for "energy" (which, in turn,
has many of its own problems) -- as "data" becomes the "new oil."  If
the ToK System is going to use this metaphor, then I suspect that some
careful analysis is needed.

If this is a "word-game," then what do these words mean and,
crucially, what don't they mean (references, controversies, conundrums
seriously needed) . . . ??

Mark