TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

September 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Mark Stahlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2018 09:43:39 -0600
Gregg:

"Dissonance" -- what is that (i.e. it's certainly not describing
something in "intellectual" terms) . . . ??

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__en.wikipedia.org_wiki_Cognitive-5Fdissonance&d=DwIDaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=xbom-Wt4ODaqdZh1obfoABBz6LTAftRkMwqHAWtSsOs&s=ERTQ0n2OuKmD8yRwxkgwgvYxiiLBBA5Fa4fhzqlo9ig&e=

There is a tendency among smart/analytical people (like you) to want
to think that others are also (at least potentially) smart/analytical
- but they mostly aren't and, indeed, have no need to be.  Ignorance
is actually "bliss" (just as it should be.)

"Veracity" and "validity" are terms that apply to "thinking" -- but
that's not what drives our lives.  "Beliefs" are also squishy in that
regard and, as Socrates (actually just Plato) showed us, our beliefs
are typically contradictory and ill-founded -- if not outright stupid.
  All of which you know.

Humans have the capacity to "think" (i.e. faculties of the soul that
no other lifeform does) but the "intellect" is rarely all that
important in people's actual lives.  This is why "formation" occurs
much earlier in our development than "wisdom," which takes many
decades to develop (if at all.)  In terms of developmental psychology,
as Jeff likes to put it, "by 12/13 years-old the cake is baked and
already cooling on the counter" . . . <g>

Children cannot be wise.  Yet, it is as children that our psychology
is "locked-in" by the communications technologies we habitually use.
The effects of TELEVISION or DIGITAL as *paradigms* largely occur long
before anything like wisdom is even possible in our lives.

Wisdom is needed -- from the old -- to construct a culture that can
then nurture proper "formation" among the young.  That formation needs
to include the *effects* --in formal causal terms -- of technologies
on us all.  Or else we get the mess we now have to live with.

As best we can tell, McLuhan is *literally* the only place to go to
get that wisdom.  I've been flipping over rocks for 50+ years looking
for an "alternative" but there don't seem to be any.  McLuhan's isn't
just a "perspective"; it is the only detailed attempt to unravel this
mystery in existence.  Ever.

Until the adults understand this, the kids will continue to be
"educated" by technologies without any cultural comprehension of what
is going on -- just like what happened to us . . . !!

Mark

P.S. Life today is so "messed-up" because we were (mostly) all formed
by a technology that can only produce that sort of an outcome.  We
(mostly) have no clue how this happened and (mostly) don't even want
to know.  Very few people have the make-up to even want to sort all
this out.  Yes -- after 1000+ conversations, I can state that with a
high degree of confidence.

A population that thinks of itself as "post-literate" is also
"post-wisdom." Unless a technology comes along and it takes over our
lives in a way that supports literacy, wisdom cannot occur.  It is our
view that "Secondary Literacy" is produced by DIGITAL, just as
"Secondary Orality" was produced by ELECTRICITY.  Minus that shift, we
are well-and-truly F.U.B.A.R'ed.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.urbandictionary.com_define.php-3Fterm-3Dfubar&d=DwIDaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=xbom-Wt4ODaqdZh1obfoABBz6LTAftRkMwqHAWtSsOs&s=Jn9T0SCD31TFAzgTWMo9lDmLeF06tRuhsa0I98ozW68&e=