TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

August 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Mark Stahlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2018 08:32:03 -0600
Gregg:

Very interesting (but not Aristotle) . . . !!

Yes, "Porphyry's Tree" (which he never actually diagrammed) is indeed
a reflection on aspects of Aristotle's Categories -- however, overall,
the Categories was for the purpose of logical propositions (thus its
part in his Organon or "logical" works, not his metaphysics) and not
for what you are doing (i.e. metaphysical empiricism.)

What you are playing with is the "genus," "species," "differentia"
series (as indicated in center of your diagram.)  Perhaps this YouTube
will help you on all that --

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.youtube.com_watch-3Fv-3DB3Avpz-2DmXU0&d=DwIDaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=Bp20GX3BkjCXwHg46HXgogytWjV-2V5NRa00v-cesjA&s=TYOQZuzS6MydKeLEMVWD2iKAABgbV53223J50iKSAt0&e=

I don't know who drew the "tree" that you took from Wikipedia (i.e.
neither Porphyry or Aristotle) but, alas, it doesn't quite work for
your purposes.  In particular, obviously, "Culture" is not on the Wiki
chart -- so things do not "line up."

While a "Human" is indeed a "differentia of the genus animal," human
doesn't appear on your own own diagram (and it's not the same as
"Mind".)  "Culture" does but it isn't the same as "Human" (in terms of
biological classification, which is what is going on in this
particular "tree") and it isn't a "differentia of Mind" (which isn't
an Aristotelean category at all.)

 From what I can tell, Aristotle isn't someone who is "intuitive" for
modern thinkers.  Indeed, few seem to have bothered to understand what
he was doing.  That's why we are putting the effort into our classes
(and more.)

We'd be glad to help you with this, if you'd like . . . <g>

Mark