TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

September 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Mark Stahlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2018 14:50:14 -0600
Gregg:

As we've discussed, there is no simple "identity" between language and humans.

Homo Sapiens did *not* have anything like human language as a direct
result of its own biological evolution.  From 200,000+ years ago until
some time much more recently -- perhaps only 10,000+ years ago --
humans most likely didn't have spoken language and written language is
only 2500 or-so years old.

Yes -- Merlin Donald is probably the best source on all this . . . !!

Mark