TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

July 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Mark Stahlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2018 14:45:44 -0600
John:

Just for the fun of it, I've been trying to sort out the "influences"
behind your work -- in the sense that McLuhan has been a "mentor" for
me in mine.

While various "usual suspects" get mentioned, you keep returning to L
L Whyte at the crucial point in the exposition, such as (from EBEM) --

"This notion [i.e. Aristotle's *entelechy*] was revisited in the
twentieth century, L L Whyte proposing a Unitary Biology, but it had
no basis in mechanism, so it was untestable . . . " and "L L Whyte
described it as unitary biology, but the concept lacked a
scientifically causal basis, so it remained philosophy . . . "

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__en.wikipedia.org_wiki_Lancelot-5FLaw-5FWhyte&d=DwIDaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=rBgZvrV4o2C-uB9lOzRKH5t8ZqcJm-6GSLMfWcYh_08&s=aJ4l8zd3jypqiVdUaai7vh_yXB0z_lo7Wdgb4YE1Tbk&e=

And, as you know, the Wiki entry for Whyte points to Roger Joseph
Boscovich, SJ (1711-1787) -- whose Wiki entry points back to G.W.
Leibniz (1646-1716, who I happen to know a bit about) . . . !!

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__en.wikipedia.org_wiki_Roger-5FJoseph-5FBoscovich&d=DwIDaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=rBgZvrV4o2C-uB9lOzRKH5t8ZqcJm-6GSLMfWcYh_08&s=QQ_f8ryl2VSWcCCb9Toe6tF7-lLazkmC0GTgjvkABr8&e=

If this "trail" is a semi-accurate one, it places your influences in
very interesting "universalist" 17th/18th-century territory, indeed.

Am I on the right track . . . ??

Mark

P.S. As it turns out, Jeff Martineau is teaching a summer-school class
at the Center called "Life & Death Seminar" (LADS), based on
Aristotle's "On the Soul" (aka "De Anima") in which "entelechy" is an
important cornerstone.  As it turns out, this is a made-up word meant
by Aristotle to convey a specific meaning that no other Greek word
could satisfy.  The English translation we are using is by Joe Sachs
(St. Johns, Anapolis) and its rendition of "entelechy" is somewhat
labored, reflecting the interweaving of "potential" and "action"
involved: Being-at-work-staying-itself.  Perhaps it would be
interesting for this group to see what happens if we replaced Darwin
with Aristotle in terms of a "unitary theory of biology"?

Quoting Mark Stahlman <[log in to unmask]>:

> [...]
>> mechanisms in 2004 there was absolutely no cell biology in that literature,
>> literally, due to the evolutionists by-passing Cell Theory in favor
>> of genetics as their way of advancing evolution theory. I began with lung
>> biology as the archetype for the evolution of vertebrate viscera,
>> and then, because the molecular pathways are shared with other tissues and
>> organs, I was able to extrapolate to other phenotypes.
>> I have attached the PROOF copies of the first three books I have published
>> using this approach.....your comments are welcomed. Of late, I
>> have been focused on Consciousness as the consequence of vertically
>> integrated physiologic evolution because I have hypothesized that
>> it is actually the aggregate of our physilogy, allowing us to be aware of
>> the environment and ourselves because it is the sum total of the
>> endogenization of the external environment....hopefully the books will help
>> make that clear(er)(ish). John
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 9:08 AM, Mark Stahlman <[log in to unmask]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> John:
>>>
>>> As you know, Mitochondria have no "reasoning" or any of the rest of this
>>> list -- in the sense that these apply to humans.  I've read many of your
>>> remarks in the archives but I confess I'm still not sure what you think
>>> about how all of these "powers" developed in human biology.
>>>
>>> Perhaps we should get some clarity about your views on how that
>>> "evolution" occurred in biology before we move on to robots (and please
>>> don't answer "complexity/emergence" which is *not* a description of biology
>>> but rather the way some people model the processes inside stars and other
>>> nuclear furnaces, like hydrogen bombs, which is to say spectacularly "dead"
>>> things) . . . ??
>>>
>>> "Now I have become death, the destroyer of worlds" -- Robert Oppenheimer
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Mark
>>>
>>> P.S. When I was studying for my PhD in Molecular Biology (c.1971, never
>>> finished largely due to the withdrawal of NSF &al funding post-Vietnam), I
>>> was very interested in the discussion about how life did-or-did-not conform
>>> to 2nd Law of Thermodynamics.  As you know, "entropy" and "negentropy,"
>>> along with distinctions between "open" and "closed" energy systems have
>>> long been the terms employed in that dialogue, as well as in the early
>>> discussions about "information theory."  I became convinced that these
>>> early 19th-century notions (such as Carnot's 2nd Law, c. 1824), generally
>>> built on 17th notions, came from a *different* scientific paradigm and
>>> most-likely these "machine" terms simply didn't apply to living beings.
>>> Indeed, given what we know now (or, for that matter, what we once knew),
>>> why should they?
>>>
>>> P.P.S.  One of my favorite songs (many years ago) was the Soul II Soul
>>> tune, "Get a Life" (aka "What's the Meaning") perhaps you will like it also

>>> tube.com_watch-3Fv-3DBOXIBXnMris&d=DwIDaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb
>>> 7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-j
>>> IYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=ABELRMSxycPHOe6uKKJHmVryWmYf3ysD5q3vWB279ig&