TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

July 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Mark Stahlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2018 08:20:30 -0600
John:

I appreciate your dedication to the *endogenization* of our
"environment" and have been fascinated with Lamarck/Lysenko &al since
I started to study them in the 1960s -- so thanks for repeating your
understanding of these approaches (and reminding us how they aren't a
part of the neo-Darwinian synthesis) . . . !!

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__en.wikipedia.org_wiki_Lynn-5FMargulis&d=DwIDaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=Y8KO0_6qENanYCuwl-GukBV2QaDkJud5R4jxUGi0Ojw&s=07rBAG1oHMNUzOwr8zTH4IZiClwBp3W6CsM_LGMMHtU&e=

That said, however similar sugar molecules may be for a paramecium and
a human, the *organisms* involved clearly are not the same -- at the
"level" of MIND and CULTURE.  In fact, the environment that we are
"endogenizing" isn't one of only carbohydrate fuels but also includes
much more.  In particular it includes various technologies, such as
human language (for which has no clear "evolutionary" origin) &c.

My interest in "paradigms" -- as defined by Thomas Kuhn -- is also
"environmental" and, indeed, focuses on how we "internalize" them but
at a different level in the "ToK Stack."  Aristotle had one
environment to "endogenize."  Newton had another.  So, did Einstein
&c.  What interests me is how the "internalizations" of their own
environments (alas something we can't do, pointing to the core problem
with our accounts of history) affected the problems they encountered
and the solutions they proposed.

I suspect that your research on the "lower" level of LIFE is quite
relevant -- analogously, if not "mechanistically" -- to what happens
in CULTURE.  This raises the question of how to describe that
environment for *culture* in a way that yields useful "explanations"
(even if they aren't sufficiently "mechanistic" for your taste) about
how they are "endogenized."

That's where Marshall McLuhan comes in.  His 1964 "Understanding
Media" attempts to do just that -- as reflected in the title of its
first chapter, "The Medium is the Message."  When Gregg gets back,
we'll launch into a discussion of McLuhan's contribution to see if it
is useful for understanding what we are up to today.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.amazon.com_Understanding-2DMedia-2DExtensions-2DMarshall-2DMcLuhan_dp_1584230738&d=DwIDaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=Y8KO0_6qENanYCuwl-GukBV2QaDkJud5R4jxUGi0Ojw&s=gLATW7zM7nr6vrYPE2_cFvecHwxbkbmR_xqF3GaWLNQ&e=

Accordingly, since my interests are largely at the "upper" end of the
stack -- even though I've spent many years studying the "lower" ones
-- I have built a Center that is attempting to expand McLuhan's
1950s/60s insights into the 21st century.  We are also here to help
Gregg accomplish his goals for the ToK Society (yes, for which, this
is the mailing-list).

www.digitallife.center

Mark

P.S. To my knowledge, no one has ever succeeded in illustrating how
biological evolution is the *same* (in "mechanistic" terms) as "social
evolution."  Many have tried but they all seem to have failed.
Importantly, as best I can tell, Lynn Margulis wisely didn't get into
that topic (although she did weigh in on the 9/11 conspiracy).
Instead, what seems to have been adopted by many are various schemes
typically called "co-evolution," in which society (and technology)
"co-evolves" with the our biological species (which, in practical
terms, just means "social evolution.")  Kevin Kelly (the first editor
of Wired magazine) is a particularly notable person in that field.
Perhaps some of this work would also be of use for the ToK Society . .
. ??

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__en.wikipedia.org_wiki_CoEvolution-5FQuarterly&d=DwIDaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=Y8KO0_6qENanYCuwl-GukBV2QaDkJud5R4jxUGi0Ojw&s=Ry24gsV5__DzdGAibX51Oms8CNBP5pW4hg82V-ObIQA&e=