TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

March 2019

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Mark Stahlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 2019 06:28:18 -0600
Brett:

Thanks -- all quite interesting.  Your "Representational Qualia
Theory" link, led me to the empty "Veil of Perception" link, which led
me to the "Direct and Indirect Realism" Wiki page, which begins with
this (under "History") --

"Aristotle was the first to provide a description of direct realism.
In 'On the Soul' he describes how a see-er is informed of the *object
itself* by way of the *hylomorphic form* carried over the intervening
material continuum with which the eye is impressed."

Okay.  This then leads to a footnote that says this --

"The distinction between direct and indirect realism about perception
has an interesting history.  There was a time when perception was
understood to be about the things themselves, not of our ideas of
things.  This is what we find in Aristotle and Aquinas, who maintain
that the mind or understanding grasps the form of the material object
without the matter.  What we perceive directly, on this view, are
material objects.  This changed in the seventeenth century with
Descartes and Locke, who can be read as saying that primary objects of
perception are not things external to the mind but sense-data . . . "

Fascinating.  Last summer, my Center conducted a 13-week seminar on
"On the Soul" and it seems that what is being said here confuses many
of the matters involved.  My guess is that those quoted don't really
understand Aristotle's "grammar" very well. I was wondering, since
you've spent the last 10 years working on this, if anyone has tried to
sort this out at that level?

In particular --

1) What is Aristotle's "hylomorphic form"?  Does anyone try to
describe that in "metaphysical" detail?

2) If it is true, according to Aristotle, that this *form* is what is
perceived, then how does this become "direct," when it is the "form"
and not the "matter" that is perceived?  No, they are not the same.
One is "hylo" and the other is "morph."

3) Don't "Descartes and Locke," in this reading, actually just
substitute "sense-data" (i.e. today's "qualia") for those "hylomorphic
forms"?  What did they have against Aristotle?  Did they know what
they were doing and why did they do that?

Furthermore --

1) All this is a fine expression of the "sensibility" topic I have
introduced.  Rather than being a conflict to be resolved via
"argument," what we have are different *structural* approaches to the
world.  No amount of argument will resolve that.

2) We deal with this shift in sensibility all the time.  In
"structural" terms, Aristotle/Aquinas are what we call SCRIBAL.
Descartes and Locke are what we call PRINT.  And the "modern
philosophers" looking at all this are what we call ELECTRIC.
Different structures: different sensibilities.

3) Let's put this in terms of this list.  For the purpose of
illustrating the point, let's say that John Torday is PRINT, Gregg
Henriques is ELECTRIC and that I am DIGITAL -- in terms of our
structural "sensibilities."  Can we ever "agree"?

4) Can the Canonizer sort all this out?  Can it uncover the
*structure* of the presumptions that various people are bringing to
the discussion or does it presume that a) there are no differences or
b) these differences don't matter?

As you might know, the "classical trivium" (which, later morphed into
the "Three R's) is the basis of education in the West.  It consists of
Rhetoric, Grammar and Dialectics.  Each of these plays a different
role, but let's briefly explore the topics of Grammar and Dialectics.

"Grammar" is that *structure* which we presume to describe the world.
Over time, it doesn't stay the same, so, as a result, as we shift from
one structural understanding to another -- from one grammar to another
-- and, accordingly, our "sensibilities" shift as well.

Many have suggested that this is the origin of the "premises" on which
we will later construct "dialectical" arguments -- making Grammar the
foundation of Dialectics, in terms of the Trivium.  Yes, Marshall
McLuhan wrote his 1943 Cambridge PhD on all this.

Could it be that the difficulties you note -- including the "qualia"
shouting-matches &c -- are actually differences in *grammar* which
cannot be resolved by "dialectics"?  So where does the Canonized fit in?

Mark