TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

August 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
"Henriques, Gregg - henriqgx" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2018 13:45:34 +0000
I see (at least the ToK/UTUA aspect of) the TOK society about attempting to get our "J-I-I Dynamics" on the path to Wisdom.

J-I-I stands for Justification-Investment-Influence, which, of course, I understand via the JH, BIT, and Matrix.

At the cultural level, Justification Systems refer to the linguistic narrative and explicit intersubjective knowledge aspects of our of being.

Investment refers to our embodied actions, what we are spending our work-energy "doing" in the world.

Influence refers to the interplay and exchange (and competition or cooperation) between human persons.

The J-I-I Dynamics of the current situation offer some key reflections, such as:

1. Our justification systems are too fragmented. We (most notably the University/Academy) have failed to develop/overlooked/shattered the need for an organizing frame for the multiplicity of justification systems. [My educational pitch is that the ToK is the first system that gets the picture of time and complexity correct (with its four dimensions of behavioral complexity), and it allows us to assimilate and integrate our fragmented knowledge systems, WHILE allowing for pluralism and a diversity of angles. Hence, the move from a fragmented to an integrated pluralism. We should start with a basic physical, bio, psycho, social (iQuadratic) formula for being human persons. I am a physical object, and the material sciences help me understand my nature as such. I am an organism and the life sciences help me understand my nature as such. I am an animal (a primate) and the (basic) psychological sciences (i.e., the mind, brain, behavior sciences) help me understand my nature as such. I am a person and the social sciences help me understand my nature as such. However, my nature is not *fixed* as such. Self-conscious human beings are not passively determined objects are are merely caused by their past. There is a self-recursive, self-contained feedback loop of justification that connects our past (what has been into what is) into our future (what can and ought to be)].

 2. Our investment systems (what we are doing in the world) are changing rapidly and chaotically. As McLuhan notes, the techno-environment changes our constitution. How do we ensure (or at least reflect on) the harmony between our investments and technology going forward?

3. We live in a social relational matrix and, according to the Influence Matrix, we are built to seek social influence and relational value via the dimensions of power, love and freedom. Central to the good life is a society that maximizes mutual relational value, as opposed to the reverse. The more chaotic and fragmented our investment and justification systems, the harder mutual relational value will be. When humans are confused, uncertain and facing a changing dynamic, they retreat into threat-based defensive postures, where the other is a danger rather than a potential source of nourishment.

 Bottom line, what can we do to help get the J-I-I Dynamics right, as the world of change accelerates around us?

Peace,
Gregg