TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

June 2020

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Joseph Michalski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jun 2020 16:54:30 +0000
Hi folks. I'll weigh in, since this is one area where I have some "expertise" and where the sociological perspective can help. Again, we mainly examine issues of a more psychological nature here on this list, so I can share a little bit from my background as a sociologist. For example, I just taught finished last month teaching an upper-year course on "hate crimes", where we examined some relevant issues both from a sociological standpoint AND from a social psychological perspective. I've attached the course syllabus, FYI. So many issues that we cannot possibly cover in email exchanges, ranging from the historical legacies, the regional variations, the institutional power dynamics, the group differences aspects, and the individual-level experiences and interpretations. Unfortunately, many in the media and some of our other institutional leaders (e.g., Gregg's example from the APA) do not frame the issues in constructive ways and instead look to demonize or advance particular agendas. Especially in the heat of the moment and as people protest and riot, the same camps quickly emerge and people hunker down with their perspectives. Most important, it's tough for people in general, to say nothing of our own institutional social scientists, to examine the underlying "causes" of the different behaviors, as well as the institutional "forces" that help shape what's happening and provide the broader context.

My simple way of framing this is to examine the two levels and share the best information and "theories" we have in terms of the different aspects of interpersonal dynamics. At the institutional level, the sociological evidence and even some of our theories have long pointed to the differential treatment that stems from various types of inequalities (wealth, income, power, etc.), as well as the different types of "social distances" that separate people and create the "us" and "them" groups that lead to systemic types of racism and "othering." Not surprisingly, these differences and distances produce vastly different outcomes for people, at least in terms of aggregate outcomes. How many of you have experienced "differential treatment," for example, based on certain identifiable characteristics? Here's a great example from my many years of coaching basketball, where I've usually had extremely diverse or "mixed" teams in terms of racial/ethnic composition. When I was driving three African-American high schoolers home after practice one night, I was pulled over the the police for running a stop sign. One of the guys piped up immediately, "Okay, y'all. Act white!" Yes, meant as a joke & we laughed - but we laughed b/c we knew that was soooo true!

Furthermore, those in positions of power are deeply at risk for abusing such power if there are not appropriate checks and balances within extant systems. That's patently obvious and demonstrably true, time and again, throughout history and certainly in the context of the U.S. Yet that's also why the constructive discussions are so difficult to have:  who wants to critically examine the power structures or put their privileged positions at risk (whether in terms of controlling the police to one's Senate seat to tax breaks to investing in certain communities? But it's even more complicated than that, for then you have to deal with the issues of where people actually live & work, and the degree (or lack thereof) of integration, communication, and opportunities to build healthy lives and communities. And this connects to the social psychological level.

We then all make choices to some degree as to where we will live, raise our families, etc. - all conditioned by our own backgrounds, resources, education, and "biases." And that's where things are even MORE challenging or almost impossible. I highly recommend Jennifer Eberhardt's book Biased, which examines exactly these issues (she has worked extensively with police departments, training, racism, etc.), explains precisely how and why we are ALL biased in our encounters at the interpersonal level, and how for the most part we are not even aware of our own prejudices. Dr. E. notes that shee too was sometimes "blind" to her own biases initially as an African-American woman and now well-known Stanford social psychologist. But all those instances of "picking up trash while black" and "BBQ-inq while black" and "being at the pool while black" and "driving while black", etc. - these are not simply anecdotes, but rather confirm what the research has demonstrated for decades, i.e.he longstanding patterns of racialized treatment that varies from what happens during police stops to everyday, interpersonal dynamics. And, guess what? We ALL display certain types of biases and preferences, some of which are hard-wired into our brains from our earliest experiences.

For example, Dr. Eberhardt notes that the spate of robberies in Oakland's Chinatown stemmed in part from the difficulty that the Asian women had in identifying their attackers based on their limited familiarity with African-American faces. She notes too that she herself had an extremely difficult time identifying the "white faces" she encountered when she transferred to a predominantly "white school" growing up. Why? The same lack of familiarity and experience. Now, multiply that by the thousands of other encounters that people have, over and over again, and we start to understand why we all use info and cues to simplify, classify, and even pre-judge the "others" whom we encounter. So much so that it's completely "natural" for us to look out upon the world as we do, to live and work among the networks we do, etc. We live in "different worlds", which was roughly the title of an African-American 1980s sit-com about young African-Americans who then attended university together & so on. In short, we are deeply "biased" toward that which is "familiar", or that to which we have been exposed and conditioned. And that's what's so challenging in all of this.

Yet Chance's video clip shows partly what would genuinely "need" to happen to foster constructive change. The white sheriff joins in with the more diverse & predominantly African-American protesters. Lots of contact, hugs, interpersonal connections, and so on. They make the crucial human connections and all want to walk together. Great! But I would ask further,  Does the sheriff actually live among these African-American residents or in their 'hood, or vice-versa? Do his children go to school with their children? Are their friendships multi-ethnic and multi-racial in nature? Probably not. I do not mean this as a criticism, but rather to highlight why residentially and ecologically the problems are so intransigent. You can hold people accountable within institutions, which would be a good start. But challenging, especially within hierarchical organizations such as the police and the military, to say nothing of private corporations, where people use their power to control what's seen and the narratives that are constructed. The videos that are posted, of course, undermine that "authority" and challenge those narratives. So, people are at least more "aware" of these institutional abuses of power.

What's far more challenging, though, is to either ask people to live & work together in much more diverse communities OR to get them to fundamentally change the biases that are almost a part of their DNA (at least metaphorically), not only in terms of race/ethnicity/gender, but then in terms of lifestyle, music (anyone see the viral video of the woman excoriating the group of Hispanics for playing their Latin music rather than "American" music?), dress, tattoos, etc. You can legislate at the level of institutional behavior and what the consequences might be for those who violate the standards, such as arresting officers who violate the law (but note that there are a million other "biases" where law enforcement folks get a break that the rest of us do not = as in the case of my late father, who flashed his FBI ID on those rare occasions where he was pulled over for speeding & thus maintained a "perfect" driving record - unlike yours truly!). Breaking the proverbial "code of silence" is the big story of the 21st century, at least in terms of institutional pressures and the public discourse around such obvious abuses, from police brutality to the identification of the many sexual predators who have been "outted." What you can NOT legislate, however, is how and where people grow up, what they learn from their parents, what they experience as children and their levels & contexts of "exposure" to the "others," and so forth. I'm sure this is quite obvious to everyone on this list, but it's still worth reflecting upon our own "experiences" and "biases" - and then what we might be able to say and do that would be helpful moving forward.

In the meantime, I highly recommend this brief clip from the Tyler Merritt Project, which captures the essence of what I'm talking about in terms of really getting to "know" people & looking beyond skin color and stereotypes:  https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.youtube.com_watch-3Fv-3DoGu-5FxGBekpo&d=DwIF-w&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=-9fHwPF6J8Yqq6NiVYrqLfj4_tKifKUhjKB9HlM18ME&s=p-VzcBYSUmzj8WbFGjFuPgYYSo1G9HFwVBWaIYtPUsE&e=
[https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.bing.com_th-3Fid-3DOVP.NFog6MNLrN8WaslHO-5FsMvAEsDh-26pid-3DApi&d=DwIF-w&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=-9fHwPF6J8Yqq6NiVYrqLfj4_tKifKUhjKB9HlM18ME&s=-F6MIOj2-U0GMq_mumKQNwkpJGWvhZ-bzXgr9yYpcwI&e= ]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.youtube.com_watch-3Fv-3DoGu-5FxGBekpo&d=DwIF-w&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=-9fHwPF6J8Yqq6NiVYrqLfj4_tKifKUhjKB9HlM18ME&s=p-VzcBYSUmzj8WbFGjFuPgYYSo1G9HFwVBWaIYtPUsE&e= >
Before you call.<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.youtube.com_watch-3Fv-3DoGu-5FxGBekpo&d=DwIF-w&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=-9fHwPF6J8Yqq6NiVYrqLfj4_tKifKUhjKB9HlM18ME&s=p-VzcBYSUmzj8WbFGjFuPgYYSo1G9HFwVBWaIYtPUsE&e= >
Get to know me better.
www.youtube.com

Yours kindly, -Joe

Dr. Joseph H. Michalski

King’s University College at Western University

266 Epworth Avenue, DL-201

London, Ontario, Canada  N6A 2M3

Tel: (519) 433-3491

Email: [log in to unmask]