TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

August 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Mark Stahlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Aug 2018 06:30:03 -0600
Frank:

Very interesting -- thanks . . . !!

As you know, Ernest Becker was "mentored" by Thomas Szasz, an
important figure in the "anti-psychiatry" movement of the 1960s.

Just as we are now in another "counter-culture," Szasz was in the
middle of his (along with some of the rest of us.)  The last time this
happened, RADIO psychology -- particularly the medical version -- came
under attack by the *new* techno-paradigm TELEVISION types.
Psychiatry lost.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__en.wikipedia.org_wiki_Thomas-5FSzasz&d=DwIDaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=XAkYRpRyVB6UU9pFYHb8b9G4xQy0T81UTArZU-8mBDE&s=y5HRC2ZOx6lt3U-JNJCXfztJ-zUX7azmsaSvzsK4thE&e=

His 1961 "The Myth of Mental Illness" and 1970 "The Manufacture of
Madness" accompanied Michel Foucault's 1961 "History of Madness" &c.
One of the components which fed all this was the use of LSD --
beginning and becoming widespread in psychotherapy in the 1950s and
then spread by the anti-psychiatrists in the 1960s, including after it
became illegal -- which was viewed by some as "mimicking" psychosis,
while others saw it as opening the "Doors of Perception."  How's that
for "counter" views (reminding us of the recent "Entropic Brain" post
by Gregg) . . . !!

Wikipedia notes --

"Szasz argued throughout his career that mental illness is a metaphor
for human problems in living, and that mental illnesses are not
"illnesses" in the sense that physical illnesses are; and that except
for a few identifiable brain diseases, there are "neither biological
or chemical tests nor biopsy or necropsy findings for verifying DSM
diagnoses."

"Szasz maintained throughout his career that he was not
anti-psychiatry but was rather anti-coercive psychiatry. He was a
staunch opponent of civil commitment and involuntary psychiatric
treatment but believed in, and practiced, psychiatry and psychotherapy
between consenting adults."

Yes, the closing of mental institutions was one of the results.  As
are at least some aspects of the increase in "mass killings" &c.

In the summer of 1967 (aka "The Summer of Love," when I was in
Haight-Ashbury looking for some LSD), the Tavistock Institute held a
conference at what was probably the peak of this movement -- called
the "Dialectics of Liberation Congress" (and published under the title
"To Free a Generation") -- organized by David Cooper, their resident
"anti-psychiatrist" (and a colleague of R.D. Laing, widely nominated
to take over for Tim Leary, also a psychologist, as the LSD "guru.")

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__en.wikipedia.org_wiki_Dialectics-5Fof-5FLiberation-5FCongress&d=DwIDaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=XAkYRpRyVB6UU9pFYHb8b9G4xQy0T81UTArZU-8mBDE&s=4PDB5jFs232nZnFGRrkUQ4nEyaGOmGie8A_C7rRTwA0&e=

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.amazon.com_Free-2DGeneration-2DDavid-2DCooper_dp_B000V2FMZA&d=DwIDaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=XAkYRpRyVB6UU9pFYHb8b9G4xQy0T81UTArZU-8mBDE&s=Iz7r3gjr1MToZMRqRZJIMlml-eFd3p1pdOuxh3zghrc&e=

"Emergent cosmic reality" and "cosmic information exchange dynamism"
would likely have been phrases that would have been right at home
there . . . <g>

Mark