TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

July 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Mark Stahlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2018 04:15:10 -0600
Jamie:

We'll have to wait for Gregg to return to discuss his "Justification
System" (and whether it is, in fact, "global," as has been raised by
my questions about China) but I will agree with you that his choice of
the term "justification" is an echo of the use of that term to mean
*salvation* in the Protestant Reformation . . . !!

Have you ever had the chance to read the decrees of the 6th session of
the Council of Trent on this topic . . . ??

ON JUSTIFICATION
FIRST DECREE

Celebrated on the thirteenth day of the month of January, 1547.

CHAPTER I.

On the Inability of Nature and of the Law to justify man.

The holy Synod declares first, that, for the correct and sound
understanding of the doctrine of Justification, it is necessary that
each one recognise and confess, that, whereas all men had lost their
innocence in the prevarication of Adam-having become unclean, and, as
the apostle says, by nature children of wrath, as (this Synod) has set
forth in the decree on original sin,-they were so far the servants of
sin, and under the power of the devil and of death, that not the
Gentiles only by the force of nature, but not even the Jews by the
very letter itself of the law of Moses, were able to be liberated, or
to arise, therefrom; although free will, attenuated as it was in its
powers, and bent down, was by no means extinguished in them . . .

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.thecounciloftrent.com_ch6.htm&d=DwIDaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=JG_r0HEUubEE09b-3CPvQUeTEQV0JQiXCUXHr10kGaI&s=aH_efMzZk6IBIzBQc8O_Wn-k0CwHYBlpaiKQxmcSHxQ&e=

Which brings us to the topic of religion.  You have said a couple of
things about this.  Recently you have said, "I've been around many
religious people and one common feature of the religious mind is a
disinterest in what's true according to reason and evidence."  And, in
your "About Me" on your blog site, "At the age of eight, I became
disturbed about the conflict between science and religion. I was
disturbed from learning that the adults didn’t know what was true. I
lost trust in what most people believe and began my own, independent
search for comprehension."

What sorts of "religious people" have you been around and what have
you been saying to them?  You might also be interested in how
"science" (or "Just the facts, Ma'am!") was actually designed by
people who wanted to eliminate everyday Christianity as an "anchor"
and to replace it with a "justified world."  Sometimes they were
called the "Illuminati" and sometimes the "Rosicrucians."  Unable to
live in a "corrupt" world, they called themselves the
"Perfectibilists."  Theology calls them *gnostics* . . . !!

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.amazon.com_Perfectibilists-2DCentury-2DBavarian-2DOrder-2DIlluminati_dp_0977795381&d=DwIDaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=JG_r0HEUubEE09b-3CPvQUeTEQV0JQiXCUXHr10kGaI&s=9yu981DZj20X-lFAGcMxk8WG1lA1uUfL4d1VphcdNCs&e=

Mark

P.S. I have had the chance to discuss Aristotle's *four* causes with
Gregg a little but we will have to wait for his return to focus on
this topic.  As a quick reminder, in the context of this discussion,
perhaps this will help:

Efficient Cause: The primary concern of 17th-19th-century "science,"
particularly when it is trying to accomplish engineering (i.e. making
a better world.)  This was replaced with "probability" in the
early-20th century (under a new "paradigm," as discussed on this
list), leaving science utterly without any answer to the question
"why?" (as also previously discussed on this list.)

Material Cause: This has become the study of "chaos" (and
"self-organization" or "emergence") and graduated from astro-physics
to nuclear bombs to what is now called "complexity science" (ala the
Santa Fe Institute &al.) As best I can tell, this is *not* the same as
"dimensions of complexity" in Gregg's system but he can clarify when
he returns.

Final Cause: This is the topic of "end-times" (as in "culmination of
history" or "judgment day") and the subject of the Bible's last
chapter, "The Book of Revelation."  Modern biology has rejected any
*teleology* for "evolution" and the social sciences never adopted such
a scheme (indeed, now it seems to have even rejected the notion that
Homo Sapiens is a "superior" species, and asks if, indeed, the whole
idea of species isn't "anthropocentric.")  So, if the Christian
version isn't what you want (or, its even more dramatic Islamic
embellishment, in which Jesus comes back to convert all the Jews to
Islam), then you're pretty much on your own to make-believe whatever
you'd like.  Many have done exactly that.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__en.wikipedia.org_wiki_Islamic-5Feschatology&d=DwIDaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=JG_r0HEUubEE09b-3CPvQUeTEQV0JQiXCUXHr10kGaI&s=-imEzhv_BM6kd93s9Fn4D-tOGlXOfEyagmxaDDAE3XQ&e=

Formal Cause: This was the focus of Marshall McLuhan and, now, the
Center for the Study of Digital Life (which I run.)  Kevin Kelly made
McLuhan the "Patron Saint" of Wired but never understood what he was
saying (alas, Kevin is self-taught and "born-again.")  The "technium"
is his version of *formal* cause (taken from McLuhan) but he turned it
into the "Borg," which is always the risk in these sorts of things.
Yes, "resistance is futile" (which returns us to "final cause," as
typically happens for people of the "rose cross.")