TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

September 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Mark Stahlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Sep 2018 06:24:45 -0600
Joe:

Well put -- thanks . . . !!

For me the *key* to Gregg's ToK system is the fact that he has
introduced "dimensions of complexity" -- not "levels" (at least in his
terminology) -- which is to say, there is no reason to consider the
"complexity" of the four major categories as being the "same" (i.e.
based on identical dynamics or metrics) as each other.  In fact, it
would appear that they are quite different.

This is in sharp disagreement with everyone else I know of who uses
the heuristic of "complexity."  David Christian's "Big History" and
the work at the Santa Fe Institute presume that there is only one
"complexity" and that it can be used to explain everything that ever
happened -- from the "Big Bang" to the "Arab Spring."  There are no
"dimensions" in those accounts.

That's nuts (or, more specifically, a fundamental result of the
*failed* hunt for a ToE via "science" under ELECTRIC conditions) . . .
<g>

He goes on to explain that there are *four* different "informational
systems" that drive these *four* different "dimensions of complexity"
-- without (as far as I can tell) attempting to show any "unifying"
links between them (other than to call them all "informational," which
then isn't carefully defined.)  No, "information theory" as we now
have it won't solve this conundrum.

What drives "complexity" for Matter, Life, Psychology and Culture
could then be studied and explained in more detail, each distinct
one-from-the-other -- as Gregg will have to do before he rolls this
out for wider scrutiny.  "Reducing" them all to the same underlying
"principle" would, it seems to me, collapse the entire exercise and
beg the question of why Gregg has put the last 20+ years into this
effort.

Mark

P.S. "Terrorism" is, of course, a euphemism (for television
consumption.) It is simply "medieval" Islam that is involved.  This
begs the question of what *caused* that to happen?  Why did a part of
the West, based like the rest on the Bible (and, in particular, the
Book of Revelation), suddenly "decide" to go on the attack?  What
happened?

Fundamentalist Islam has been around for a long time.  I spent many
years traveling to Saudi Arabia (becoming an expert on Arabic
calligraphy &c), so why did Osama Bin Laden &al (including the
mujahedin in Afghanistan) "suddenly" become such a problem?  What
*formally* caused all this to happen and how does the "Cultural"
dimension of "complexity" explain it (or not)?  And what does all this
have to do with my Center's motto "Digital *retrieves* the Medieval"?