TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

November 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Mark Stahlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Nov 2018 00:25:54 -0700
TOKers:

I just took advantage of the Thanksgiving promotion by HBO and watched
their 2018 documentary "The Price of Everything."  It's very well done
and, like the subject of "contemporary art" being examined (through
the lens of a Sotheby's auction &c), totally superficial.  Near the
end, one of those interviewed about where this was all heading said,
"I can smell the smoke."

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.thepriceofeverything.com_&d=DwIBaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=KQkgbQC380_mf2MaFTO0cZ3sqIYW9IOxn54LSvItNZE&s=BUs03NVMmGfNphAEkdXKAQ4ApThv6K2_yu0X9vqRNaQ&e=

In the closing sequence, a fellow is interviewed and asked if "art" is
really needed.  His answer was, "Well, probably about as much as
religion . . . But not as much as freedom."  How ELECTRIC of him.

This reminded me of the trip that Debbie and I took to the Antiquarian
Book Fair a few years ago at the Park Avenue Armory.  My mission was
to interview those selling "incunabula" (i.e. books printed before
1501) to see what they might think about the transition from SCRIBAL
to PRINT.

I did this by asking if they also sold manuscripts and, in particular,
how much of the manuscript world made it into print.  Their answers
were surprisingly uniform, "Maybe 25%, or so.  Probably less."  Oh,
how we forget.

This past year we went back -- only this time on the hunt for early
Aristotle.  Especially medieval manuscripts.  As it turns out, none
are for sale.  But a 14th-century "Pseudo-Aristotle" in French could
be had for $37,500 (negotiable, or so I recall.)  It is a quite
remarkable version of the "Secret of Secrets," apparently first
composed in Arabic and intended to reveal what Aristotle gave as the
"secrets" of warfare to his pupil Alexander.

Obviously, much of what was ORAL was lost to SCRIBAL, since not every
chatter was worth writing down.  So, it shouldn't be a surprise that
much of what was SCRIBAL was lost to PRINT, since most of it wouldn't
sell anyway.  Or, that much of what was PRINT was lost to ELECTRICITY,
since nobody thinks that way anymore .  Oh, how we forget.

The collector who is at the center of the film is Stefan Edlis and his
wife Gael Neeson.  They made a deal with the Art Institute of Chicago
(where my daughter thought about going to college, before settling on
Pratt) that would display their Warhols perpetually -- except for a
"Liz" that was initially only on a 6 month loan.  Then Gael went out
an bought a "perfect" reproduction.  Complete with the imperfections.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.artic.edu_artists_37219_andy-2Dwarhol&d=DwIBaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=KQkgbQC380_mf2MaFTO0cZ3sqIYW9IOxn54LSvItNZE&s=swj1wQX-Em0k_i5NDvU2H6GZSqLTCWM5lg2N1B0kCWw&e=

When Stefan was asked about this, his reply was, "Now you've stuck
your finger in the wound."

I wonder what DIGITAL will mean for "art" -- which Andy Warhol
famously said is "Whatever you can get away with" (as captioned in
Jerome Agel's "The Medium is the Massage," presumably taken from one
of Marshall McLuhan's files) -- and, indeed, for memory.

Mark

P.S. I have a collection of Durer and Rembrandt etchings.  Yes, they
are all fakes, but pretty good ones.  In the late 1970s, the East
Germans decided that they could run-off a series of "restrikes" using
the copper-plates in the basement of the East Berlin "Staatsmuseum"
(originating in the "Kunstkammer" of 16th-century Joachim II, Elector
of Brandenberg.)

The first one I bought was at a shop in Weisbaden, where I was on a
"diplomatic" mission.  It is a Rembrandt "self-portrait" as an
"alchemist," that is typically called "Doctor Faustus" or "The
Alchemist at Home in his Study," originally executed in 1652, produced
in four "states" and officially known as B.2701.

In the Cold War hunt for "exchange currency," the East Germans did
many creative things.  They struck a deal with the Print Mint in
Berkeley to resell these "restrikes" and I bought probably 30+ of
them, often giving them away as Xmas presents.  I still own seven of
them, including Rembrandt's "Ecce Homo."

I also have photographs of the original Durer "Knight, Death and the
Devil" (one of which Nietzsche apparently gave to Wagner, plus another
to his sister, the mayor of Nuremberg gave one to Hitler in 1933 and,
about which, Jorge Borges later wrote two poems), "Saint Jerome in his
Study" and "Melancholia I."  I've gone over my etchings (not prints,
actual copper-plate "strikes") and the photos with a magnifying glass.
  Maybe some differences in the "melancholia" gown.  But I'm not sure.

Now I'm studying the Teutonic Knights (as a continuing part of my trip
to Poland), who, as it turns out, wore the same armor as Durer
depicted in 1513 (alas, minus their black-crossed tunic).  Oh, how we
forget -- but, thanks to digital, not for long.