TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

July 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Mark Stahlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2018 03:15:42 -0600
John:

This is *all* very exciting -- as in skin-tingly, even more than
head-shaking (and, yes, mine was going up-down, not side-to-side) . .
. <g>

I grew up in Madison, where both of my parents were on the UW faculty.
  Madison West then undergraduate 1966-70, followed by a brief stint
at UofChicago Divinity School (for a rare deferment, when only
"ministers" escaped the draft lottery), then back to Madison for a
year in a PhD program in Molecular Biology, which was aborted by the
collapse of NSF-funding post-Vietnam.  Then I moved to NYC in 1972 and
started an early mini-computer software company (while playing
"revolutionary" and studying Renaissance history &c) -- which was the
basis of my later career on Wall Street &c.

"Genetics" seemed to me to be barking-up-the-wrong-tree with its
over-emphasis on DNA (and "information," trying to equate life to
computation) -- which meant I was looking for epi-genetics before that
was quite a thing yet.  Marshall McLuhan, as it turns out, is *all*
about psycho-technological environments and our "adaptation" to them
(although, for various reasons, he never elaborated a "psychology,"
which is what we are now doing at the Center, with Aristotle's help.)

I suspect that what you mean by "consciousness" -- say at the
cellular-level -- is what Aristotle meant by the "soul" (aka
*entelechy*) and what Leibniz meant by "monad."  Have you had a chance
to look at Leibniz in this way?

Throughout, this "being-at-work-staying-itself" (as Joe Sachs
translates it), is in conflict with the urge to dissolve that
"individuality" (i.e. Freud's "oceanic feeling" and the various
"mysticisms") by trying to "be-something-else-destroying-yourself"
which, in theological terms, is called *gnosticism* (aka
"self-deification.")  Btw, this was Plato's "World Soul" and it was
directly in conflict with Aristotle (yes, his most famous student),
much as Spinoza's *pantheism* was in conflict with Leibniz.

This anti-balance, get-me-outta-here, clean-things-up urge (shown in
Voltaire's satire of Leibniz's best-of-all-possible-worlds) -- giving
rise to English "Puritanism," and thus the USA-as-proto-Eden (being
celebrated today, as it was in Joni Mitchell's "Woodstock" lyric, "We
gotta get back to the Garden"), as well as "Communism" (via F. Engels
and his German "puritanism"), speaking of ironies -- likely also has a
"biological" explanation, which I'd be very curious to hear your
thoughts about (perhaps linked to "mutation") . . . !!

Mark

P.S. Eventually, we'll also have to drag the Chinese into all this
and, in particular, Daoism and the Yijing -- since, in the world
today, theirs is a much more dynamic (and coherent) "sphere" than the
West, in which the *balance* we are describing is institutionalized in
the Communist Party of China (once again, noting the irony involved)
-- all of which developed under *very* different psycho-technological
conditions, with a writing system (i.e. the key to human self-aware
"consciousness") radically unlike our alphabetic one.

P.P.S All of this is what some call "outlying thinking" (without a
"home" since the 13th-century).  I remember one day when I was
participating in a National Academy of Science meeting when the
chairman described me to the group as a "very unusual scholar" (and,
no, I wasn't invited back).  Aristotle was Greek but he wasn't
Athenian -- which meant that he had to leave twice, his Lyceum school
was outside the city-walls and in 307BC his followers were banished,
taking up in Rhodes and then largely disappearing.  Likewise, Leibniz
was almost completely expunged after his death, then mocked by
Voltaire (on behalf of Newton &al) and slandered by Bertrand Russell.
There is something psycho-technological about trying to "expel" the
approach we are taking -- raising questions, as Spengler would put it
about "Man and Technics" as well as the current drive to "merge"
humanity with the robots (aka, Ray Kurzweil &al's hoped-for
"Singularity.")