TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

October 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Mark Stahlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2018 19:44:19 -0600
Tokers:

Reading all this in Beijing, I can't help but reflect on how terribly
"provincial" all this seems.

As the "Taiji" symbol that appears first on my Center's website shows,
for the Chinese, "male" and "female" are simply "yang" and "ying."  To
be "sexist," for the Chinese, that would mean "yangist," while to be
"feminist" would mean "yinist," and that simply makes no sense at all
. . . <g>

Western concerns over "gender" are simply our reactions to the
*effects* of our TELEVISION environment -- which "formed" us under
"post-industrial" conditions during which men no longer could find
industrial work and women were encouraged to no longer build families
-- forcibly undermining the "balance" in society.

In 1970, the Labor Force Participation rate (LFP -- percentage of the
18-65 able-bodied with any form of "employment") was 90% for men and
30% for women.  Now it is roughly 60% each today -- reflecting a
radical restructuring of society in which 33% of men lost gainful
employment along with a 100% increase for women.  From this shift in
social *structure* comes all the "ideological" dispute that follows --
largely because people prefer the superficial to the fundamental.

This condition is a psychological defense mechanism -- outlined by
Gregg's "Justification Hypothesis" (along with many other descriptions
of this behavior) -- that protects us from reality.  And it continues
in this discussion, as it must.

Allowing the "ignorant" to frame this discussion -- totally unaware of
the forces which *formed* the situation -- is normal under the
circumstances.  Trying to find an "exit" from a malformed framework
is, of course, impossible.  Once you accept the "premises," the
results are already determined.

Academics, alas, are trapped in this whirlpool.  As Edgar Alan Poe
noted in his 1847 "Descent into the Maelstrom," if you accept the
validity of the "rotation" of the ocean below you, then you are
doomed.  But, to be an academic today, forces you to follow the stream
into oblivion.  This is perhaps the biggest problem in the West today
and at the root of its deepening "decline" (as well as my discussions
with Chinese academics.)

There is an "escape" but that requires rejecting the "inevitability"
of the situation.  I encourage ToKers to read Poe's story and to
ponder why Marshall McLuhan found it so compelling . . . !!

Mark