TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

August 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Mark Stahlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2018 15:56:37 -0600
Steve:

Thanks that's very helpful and instructive . . . !!

Nietzsche was supposed to become a Lutheran minister, like his father
and grandfather before him.  However, it seems that instead he took
some "organic" LSD as a student in Leipzig and it sparked some
different ideas -- like "God is dead" &c.  Yes, he was ahead of his
times.

Lacking Christianity (or, more accurately, the *printed* Lutheran
Bible) as authority, he had no choice but to fall back on his own
experiences.  Yes, there were even more drugs involved (cannabis,
opium, you name it.)  Few at the time even noticed what he wrote.
Then he went "crazy."

He took, if you will, the ultimate "inner trip" and, while that might
appear to be something that can be "universalized" into a "new global
age" (as many have tried, notably Tim Leary, who I actually knew), it
still lacks anything worth believing in (which is why Leary was such
an amoral SOB.)  When John Lilly took that trip he met the
space-aliens who control life on earth through "coincidence."  Earth
Coincidence Control Office (ECCO) he called it.

"Freedom for" is explained in great detail by Christianity, starting
with Original Sin in Genesis.  But without that "frame," or something
adequate to replace it, freedom often turns into "freedom from" (take
your pick) -- thus my question to Frank (and his Jesuit training.)

Those who invented "modern" science -- as, for instance, those at the
Royal Society of London in 1660 -- were mostly convinced that the 2nd
Coming was immanent (as had been those like Cromwell who preceded them
in the "English Civil War.")  They thought that Christ would be
showing up any day now (as reflected in one of few "direct" holdovers
from that period, today's "Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day
Saints.")

Many down through the following centuries have also been trying to use
science to help them "immanentize the eschaton" (as Eric Voegelin put
it.)  When that happens, all doubts would be removed.  Alas, they seem
to mostly mess things up instead.

Better living through chemistry (and all that) . . . <g>

Mark