TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

June 2020

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Leland Beaumont <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jun 2020 10:14:01 -0400
Greg,

Thanks for this new and useful video. Here are my (candid) comments:

I suggest renaming this "history of knowledge" or "evolution of knowledge"
or "evolution of complexity and it's understanding" or something similar. I
continue to understand the term "theory of knowledge" to refer to an
epistemology-a way of knowing, rather than "what is known".

It may be worth mentioning that this is a macro view of the punctuated
equilibrium evolutionary theory. (The joint points are the punctuations)

The narration is good, however it can be improved by editing out unhelpful
pauses and other noises and disfluencies. The freely available audio editor
"Audacity" is useful for this.

If your face was visible in a small window as you narrate it may help
viewers connect with you and the subject.

It may be helpful to annotate the Periodic Table of Behavior with arrows
showing the directions of increasing complexity. (These might be animated
and appear and disappear as you narrate).

The ToK system integrates many "big ideas" into a coherent structure.
Various viewers are likely to be more or less familiar with the many
elements you are combining. It may be helpful to include links to the major
(sub) components, such as big bang, quantum gravity, complex adaptive
system, behavior investment theory, Skinner and Freud theories, each of the
joint point theories, consilience, etc.  (A link to the relevant Wikipedia
article on each topic is probably a simple and fully adequate source of
further information for the viewer).

What is "The problem of psychology"? (Can you offer a succinct problem
statement or link to a reference on this?)

What specific problems can this theory help solve? What predictions can it
make?

Thanks, and I hope these observations and comments are helpful. Please
contact me directly if further discussion would be helpful.

Lee Beaumont