TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

January 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
"Henriques, Gregg - henriqgx" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2018 17:44:38 +0000
Thanks for this wonderful article, Corinne. It is very apropos of the discussion.

To place the article in the ToK/UTUA landscape, it is largely referring to the Red-Affiliation line on the Influence Matrix.

I labeled it affiliation because it means to "attach, unite or bring into close association." In other words, it refers to the fusion of our interests with the other, such that the other's interests become our own. The book, The Altruistic Brain, by Donald Pfaff (who lectured here at JMU, and I was fortunate enough to meet with), offers some really interesting analyses on how we represent our own interests and others, and, when feeling connected, there are mechanisms to blend them, such that the other person's pain and joys become ours.

And, this is exactly what does not happen with psychopaths.

Gregg

(PS I will get you those answers soon)