TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

December 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Mark Stahlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Dec 2018 06:44:47 -0700
Brent/Gregg:

Fascinating project indeed . . . !!

I think that Gregg has correctly suggested that the "highest level"
division between metaphysical systems is between "natural-only" and
"supernatural."  And, he is also correct that in the "natural"
category (minus the "supernatural") the current leader is "complexity
science."

However, the challenge (which we've been discussing on this list for a
while now) is whether the shift from "dead matter" to life (yes, I'd
put the problem one level below where Gregg places it) can adequately
be addressed by what is now "canonical" in complexity research?  Gregg
says no and I think he's right about that.

I first encountered all this as an undergraduate in the late-60s,
majoring in evolutionary genetics -- long before there was a field
called "complexity."  Then it was a debate over the 2nd Law of
Thermodynamics and how to account for life given these "iron-clad"
material laws.  An "answer" was fudged but it never convinced me or
many other people.

 From what I can tell, there was a "factional" fight at places like
the Santa Fe Institute over some aspects of this around 2005 and those
who wanted to deal with "levels" of complexity lost.  Gregg's
"dimensions" would seem to fit in with that larger conflict in the
field -- which isn't widely known outside of those directly involved.

Another version of this happened in the late 19th-century with Georg
Cantor.  He proposed a "solution" by inventing Transfinite Numbers
but, in the end, he went mad trying to get it acknowledged.  He failed
and he cracked up.

Gregg has bravely entered into this fraught territory, perhaps with
some of the naivety of an intrepid explorer making his own map, which
is a quality I admire in him.

How does Canonizer deal with something fundamental that has a long
history like this and how do you assemble a "panel of experts" with
enough understanding and background to deal with the issues involved .
. . ??

Mark

P.S. The removal of the "supernatural" from this discussion is a
recent phenomenon.  It was just 100 years ago that Max Weber declared
the "disenchantment of the world" in his "Science as a Vocation"
Munich lecture.  Then it was called "positivism," from which "holism"
developed as a counter-argument.  This has gotten pretty heated and
many careers have been made and broken based on these conflicts.  So,
the lines have been drawn and re-drawn -- with much passion involved.

More recently, many have proposed that we are headed back to
re-including what "physics" cannot understand.  In particular, the
"Marxist" Jurgen Habermas has declared that we are "post-secular."
The "post-modernists," like Alain Badiou &al, have been debating
various "theologies" for a decade or more.  Many are convinced that
the simply "natural" approach has failed and doesn't cut it -- thus
Gregg's valiant effort to build a successful "meta-theory."  Getting
some experts to look at this could be very enlightening, if done well.