TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

July 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Mark Stahlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jul 2018 09:56:31 -0600
John:

This is fun . . . !!

Gregg's ToK, as I understand it,  is a sequence of "levels" in which
different "rules" (an/or "capabilities") apply -- or as he terms it
"dimensions of complexity  (reminding us of Cantor &al).

I'm confused about how your approach to evolution, which has
fascinated me since I first studied Lamarck (and did a detailed
"political" analysis of Lysenko) somehow "explains" what Gregg has done?

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__en.wikipedia.org_wiki_Trofim-5FLysenko&d=DwIDaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=cXk0ZQ9t4A-leDYDYQfT0Pa7bApcJzdQWfF2tODXmUQ&s=38JgUmJaPcWnmj7CTsm-udnlr9UhmFgoG6J_PlX-8M4&e=

Thanks,

Mark

P.S. What if our "demon" actually is Satan (tempting us to become
Gods, as your ancestors believed)?

P.P.S. You have (along with others) redefined "consciousness" to equal
life (or at least cellular life).  That's fine but it's obviously
*not* the same thing as human "consciousness" (which Julian Jaynes
suggested is only 2500 years old, therefore, not "genotypical").

P.P.P.S. Heliocentism was "overthrown" by Einstein's "Special Theory,"
since there is no way to tell what is "standing still."  If you wish
to remove humanity from the "center" then you will have to put
something else in its place.  God (nope). Aliens/angels (nope). Cells
(looks like it).  I wonder if Einstein would agree?