TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

May 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
"Diop, Corinne Joan Martin - diopcj" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 May 2018 15:58:05 +0000
Hi Gregg,

I love the idea of doing the book review! It gets the point across that their citing wasn't comprehensive and sets the record straight in a public forum! Plus, it is really kind of funny. It's like you are doing a favor by bringing attention to their work but it also showcases yours.

This is just an aside-- an artist we had on campus last semester had been knitting absurd "people cozies" for quite some time: http://kristin.skees.net/galleries/cozy-portraits/

Fed Ex completely ripped off her idea and used it in an add:  https://www.ispot.tv/ad/75HL/fedex-one-rate-cozies

Instead of arguing or trying to sue (she would probably never win), we came up with the idea of adding the Fed Ex link to her website so it looks like she did the ad campaign. Everyone can see she did had this idea way before they did! It doesn't get her compensation for the use of her original idea, but it does set the record straight and maybe could get her some other commercial work. And again, it's funny in a subversive way.

I'll be interested to hear what happens!!

Corinne