TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

July 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Mark Stahlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jul 2018 04:45:09 -0600
John:

> . . . we need a new Renaissance/Age of Reason IMHO.

Good call.  However other than wishful-thinking (and the modern
version of "just so" stories about "Gaia" &c), that would require some
understanding of why these things happen, right (bringing us back to
the topic of causality)?

(Hint: that time it was the Printing Press, so what might it be this time?)

As it turns out, in 2011, I guest-edited a Special Centennial issue of
the journal Renascence on Marshall McLuhan (who was born in 1911) for
which I invited Eric McLuhan (who has just recently passed away) to
submit his essay "On Renaissances" (plural).  In 2012, I invited him
to give this as a speech at the UN at a conference on the "Dialogue of
Civilizations" that I helped to organize there.

Perhaps you will enjoy reading it and may find a few clues in its
language . . . !!

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.thefreelibrary.com_On-2Brenaissances.-2Da0280004550&d=DwIDaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=lh6Lcd-ER-b1V1FpzT-hBnKCIm1Lg-4-z2gbH3mhQsY&s=TL6GbpKqmT2q9vNiF11Efm_ZaWjM6YVP-U-XIe-GEEg&e=

Mark