TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

August 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Mark Stahlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Aug 2018 07:29:38 -0600
John:

Fascinating comments (and I'm sorry that I wasn't at the conference) . . . !!

> I am suggesting that, in the Mind and Culture dimensions, it is
> necessary to add to our data and information before effective
> knowledge/wisdom/vision/change strategy and tactics may be
> formulated and deployed.

Let's see.  How long has this been going on?  And, what approaches
have been previously taken?

Aristotle wrote about all these topics 2000+ years ago.  On the Soul.
Nicomachean Ethics.  Politics.  Rhetoric.  &c.  So, these are indeed
"perennial" issues.

But, so far, despite all this time, all the experience, all the effort
by some of the smartest people who ever lived, no one has accomplished
any breakthrough in understanding -- relative to Aristotle -- based on
adding "to our data and information" (as those are typically defined.)
  So, perhaps that is the wrong approach . . . ??

In Feb 2013, I was invited to the Office of Net Assessment (ONA) at
the Pentagon to provide some "scenarios" re: future US elections,
based on the "data and information" gathered in the 2012 election.  I
told them (pretty much) what would happen in the years to come.

I said that we have shifted into a new technological *paradigm* and
that by 2016 it would be evident that the two major US political
parties would be fractured and have lost control of the process.  I
added that an "Internet candidate" (who was *specifically*
anti-television) would be elected to the complete surprise of the
pollsters.

On the eve of the first 2016 primary in New Hampshire, Jeff and I
published an article describing why -- for strategic reasons -- Trump
would win the election.  Before a single vote was cast.  On election
night I threw a party.  It was evident by 9PM that what we had said
had been correct.  And, yes, as far as I can tell, we were the only
people who said it.

My career was largely on Wall Street (after many years designing
hardware and software.)  I was somewhat famous for making predictions
that had an "uncanny" way of coming to pass.  My girlfriend says, "He
can see around corners."  Those investors who followed my advice made
lots of money.  Some made 1000x their initial investment.  Those were
the days (before the robots took over that business.)

The same process is involved and, truth be told, it has little to do
with "data and information."  Instead, my particular success is based
on "pattern recognition" (as McLuhan called it, borrowing a phrase
from early A.I. research) -- which is to say the ability to recognize
"forms" and to understand their "dynamics."  The key to all this is
*formal* cause.

No one should be surprised by Trump.  Or Brexit.  Or Italy's 5 Star
Movement. &c.  They are *all* part of the same pattern of DIGITAL
taking over from TELEVISION as psycho-technological environments.

But, when the focus is on "data and information" (as those are
typically defined), everyone seems to have been surprised.  Why?

As the famous cartoon puts it, "They were looking for their carkeys
under the streetlamp -- because that's where the light was."  But
that's not where the "carkeys" were lost, so they will never be found.

We have (largely) "lost" our ability to understand the processes which
underlie our lives.  Even grown hostile about it.  Why?

It's time that we set out to remember what we have -- let's just say
since the invention of the Printing Press -- forgotten.  And
approaching these topics with the same approach taken in physics (for
example) will not help us achieve our goals . . . <g>

Mark

Quoting [log in to unmask]: