TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

August 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Mark Stahlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2018 12:22:36 -0600
Gregg:

Correct.  The problem with exponential/transcendental/infinity
"arguments" is that they play on people's desire for a "final" cause
to look forward to (someday) as the ultimate escape -- although, to be
sure, few involved would be able to describe what Aristotle meant by
that and why it is always accompanied by the other three causes (which
"limits" all this to natural outcomes, not "infinite" ones) . . . <g>

This is why so many attracted to this approach are "evangelicals" and
why some of them even commit suicide to get to their "final reward" --
like suicide-bombers (remembering that Islam began as an
"implementation" of the Book of Revelation) and cultists like the
Nike-wearing Hale-Boppers &c.  The Protestant Reformation was largely
dedicated to the 2nd Coming and it still has enormous influence --
particularly in the English and German-speaking worlds.  Arguably the
Third Reich was a "paganized" version of the Christian endtimes, for
instance.

I first heard of Ray Kurzweil when he was being promoted by George
Gilder in his "Microcosm" (which I helped with the final edit.)
George is a *deep* evangelical (or "born-again"), as is Kevin Kelly --
with whom he bonded back in the 90s at Wired magazine.  I had my
little chat with Ray after he spoke at one of George's "Telecosm"
conferences.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.amazon.com_Microcosm-2DQuantum-2DRevolution-2DEconomics-2DTechnology_dp_067170592X&d=DwIBaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=nbwcjayT4w9hKkrtDFGGDhe9348lpZbYGisOPOoaoXk&s=qArea0n9gZRg1MsVKwZQJ-f1wMmEJLKdibG8f6lCZso&e=

To be sure, some of these "evangelicals" are also technologists and
for them the "2nd Coming" (which will finally clear up "corruption" on
Earth) takes the form of the Singularity (to come, not the "Big Bang")
that Kurzweil is famous for promoting.  Ultimately, their plans --
sometimes disguised as "Colonies on Mars" &c -- mean getting rid of
humanity.  We call these people the "Digital Sphere" to distinguish
them from the East and the West -- both of which want to keep the
humans.

My concern is that as you elaborate your "5th Joint Point" there will
be a tendency to attract these types, who will be confused that your
"chart" points to an Teilhardian "Omega Point" or some such *finality*
and not just another "dimension of complexity" (with an associated
*new* mentality for humans, this time shaped by digital memory and not
illusions.)

Alas, as good a song as this was (for my generation), we are *not*
getting back to the Garden (and, no, we are not "golden" or, in any
meaningful sense, even "stardust") . . . <g>

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.youtube.com_watch-3Fv-3D3aOGnVKWbwc&d=DwIBaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=nbwcjayT4w9hKkrtDFGGDhe9348lpZbYGisOPOoaoXk&s=vsHt26trxhS1oEiRhBej1X-sZRIFm8tBfrqA1xycHic&e=

Mark

P.S. My recommendation for those trying to find a 60s anthem for what
we're going through now would be Buffalo Springfield's (two of whom
became CSNY and covered Joni) 1967 "For What It's Worth . . . "

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.youtube.com_watch-3Fv-3Dgp5JCrSXkJY&d=DwIBaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=nbwcjayT4w9hKkrtDFGGDhe9348lpZbYGisOPOoaoXk&s=SHnYnxJdljpW-S6_EP7MNSxDGhJZCKTJIeUaPrOsnyQ&e=