TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

August 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Mark Stahlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Aug 2018 08:08:46 -0600
Joe:

Thanks -- these are indeed very basic questions . . . !!

Since "human" in terms of this article means Homo Sapiens (i.e the
"standard" biological species), it would appear that *none* of Gregg's
"four dimensions" line-up.

Homo Sapiens (the species, which is considered 200,000+ years old) --
can't be described by "Mind" or "Culture" as I understand those terms
in Gregg's ToK system.  Many other species also have "Mind," whereas
early-humans didn't have "Culture."

We have spent a lot of time with Julian Jaynes (I was his student) and
Merlin Donald (with whom I have collaborated) at the Center.  They
both describe a species which has "evolved" in psychological terms.
For instance, the biological species didn't gain the qualities that we
would recognize as "self-aware consciousness," which is required for
"culture" (or perhaps "civilization") until they invented *literacy*
-- roughly 2500 years ago.  Yes, that's a technology (and none of us
are born with it.)

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.amazon.com_Origins-2DModern-2DMind-2DEvolution-2DCognition_dp_0674644840&d=DwIDaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=2ploKyY1OKVM12Z_OiNRgoH4386b-4nu5obm3NOuDd0&s=Ny8pMhJhdwQmSNEZp0fkvr1tDi1oxyksngoHXDZyVSA&e=

Be generous and extent this back to the origins of agriculture &c and
you will only get to around 10,000BC (or sometime after the last
ice-age.)  Still, that *cannot* be what we mean by Homo Sapiens (or
any other biological division yet discovered.)  Plus, what did Plato
and Aristotle have to say about all this?

Looking forward to your thoughts . . . <g>

Mark

P.S. This SA article comes from material in Leland's 2017 "Darwin's
Unfinished Symphony: How Culture Made the Human Mind," in which
doesn't cite Jaynes but mentions Donald twice in footnotes (but not in
the acknowledgements.)  Btw, he seems to think that many animals have
"culture," probably confusing this term with what Gregg means by "mind."

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.amazon.com_Darwins-2DUnfinished-2DSymphony-2DCulture-2DHuman_dp_0691151180&d=DwIDaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=2ploKyY1OKVM12Z_OiNRgoH4386b-4nu5obm3NOuDd0&s=ZEjfUtat7OxBmDytIf9EoA8YL93keFoyLyh0L6RwMw4&e=