TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

August 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Mark Stahlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Aug 2018 04:15:09 -0600
Tokers:

Reading Gregg's "draft blog" a couple of points jump out at me . . .

1) We are the West -- not the East (or anything else.)  Gregg is
correct that the crucial "frame" for the West is Christianity.  Yes, I
say "is" not "was." Before Christianity, as in pagan Rome and Greece
&c, it was a different civilization.  Without Christianity (for which
Talmudic Judaism and Islam are offshoots -- all being "people of the
Book"), it is no longer the West.  I am a Catholic and will be going
to church a few hours from now.  For those reading this who are not
Christian all of this presents a problem.  Perhaps a serious one.  Can
you even relate to your own civilization?

2) Science (in the West) set itself up -- from its "modern" 17th
century beginnings -- against the Catholic Church (but not
Christianity.)  It was intended to "reform all of the world," as the
title of the 1612 Rosicrucian "Fama Fraternitatis" manifesto tells us.
  This implied the need to eliminate Aristotle, since his work had
been incorporated by the Church starting in the 13th century.  This
development of a *new* techno-paradigm in the West was the product of
the Printing Press in the 15th century.

3) In the 20th century, under the influence of the *electric*
paradigm, science declared victory (in the West) -- at precisely the
moment that Oswald Spengler wrote his "Decline of the West."  This
meant not just victory over Catholicism -- which had been "defeated"
by PRINT as a techno-paradigm centuries earlier -- but also of
Protestant Christianity.  Max Weber called this the "disenchantment of
the world" in his 1917 lecture "Science as a Vocation."  The "New Age"
is, of course, what came next.  Yes, drugs were involved.  Pagan drugs.

4) Among the many outcomes of this situation of deep civilizational
confusion/collapse was the push for "one world" (i.e. the elimination
of civilizations.)  It surfaced after WW I as the League of Nations
and then morphed into the United Nations and World Federalism &c after
WW II.  It relied on the Rockefellers to fund it -- the UN
headquarters was actually first meant to be built next to their
homestead in Pocantico Hills -- whose progenitor, John D. Rockefeller
Sr. (the world's first "billionaire") was such a devout Baptist that
he build his house (now a must-see museum called "Kykuit") around a
church organ (that his grandson, Nelson, tore out to replace with
"modern" art.)

5) One of the other things funded by the Rockefellers was "systems
theory" -- which has now morphed into "complexity" and "emergence."
 From the beginning, this was meant to be the "glue" that would hold
everything (that was falling apart) together.  It was the theory
behind "one-world."  The Society for General Systems Theory (now IIGS)
was initially organized at the initial 1954 meeting of the Center for
the Advanced Study of Behavioral Science (CASBS, as Stanford) --
which, in some ways, was an early version of what Gregg is trying to
do.  Yes, we've been down this road before.

6) In the 1950s, it looked like there was a *new* "synthesis" that was
coming together.  The World Council of Churches had religion taken
care of (with the Catholics, who refused to join, disabled by Vatican
II.)  Henry Kissinger (a creature of Nelson Rockefeller, who was
supposed to become President in 1964 but his girlfriend, Happy,
refused to get an abortion) had pulled together the outline of the
"New World Order" (through what was called the "Special Studies
Project," which then became the staff of JFK's "Camelot.")  He even
got China to sign-up (or so he thought) when he and Nixon met with Mao
and company.  They "owned" Japan and Germany.  Venezuela was their
plantation.  They had deeply penetrated the Soviet Union (which is why
the Wall came down, against which the Russians are now fighting back.)
  They had the CFR and the Brits (now called "Five Eyes," aka the
"Deep State.")  No one could get in their way -- or so they thought.

7) In the 1980s, Samuel Huntington (with whom my Center's co-founder
studied at Harvard), came up with a "rival" theory to the dominant
one-world, new-world-order scheme.  Instead, he proposed that there
are multiple civilizations on earth and that they are inherently
"clashing." He presented all this to the Council on Foreign Relations
(with the help of Center Fellow, Tom Lipscomb, who had become a member
via Herman Kahn, after whose Hudson Institute the Center is modeled)
and was tossed out on his head.  Kablam! Instead, F. Fukujama
presented his acclaimed "End of History," reflecting the mood of
victory following the fall of the Berlin wall.  George H.W. Bush
celebrated the millennium at the pyramids in a ceremony that was
supposed to symbolize humanity coming full-circle.  Alas, he was
wrong.  They were all wrong.

8) Sam was right.  The West is *not* the whole world.  There was not
going to be a "new world order" run by the West.  It is only one among
many civilizations and, since it had jettisoned its own Christian
principles, it wasn't even a civilization "on the rise" (if it could
survive at all.) It was in decline and due to be overtaken by other
civilizations -- most importantly China (where I've been engaging now
for 20+ years.) Arnold Toynbee, who had spent his life writing his "A
Study of History" (explicitly responding to Spengler) had made it
clear: Without a "great religion" at its core, there can't be a
civilization.  Far from taking over the world, the West was on its
last legs.  Kaput.

9) Of course, that didn't stop those who were still on a "mission."
The Department of Energy funded the Santa Fe Institute (and still
does), in the hopes that "complexity" would become the ultimate
"theory of everything."  Bomb designers -- hearkening back to how Leo
Szilard had provoked the atom bomb in the hopes that it would end all
wars (following a suggestion by H.G. Wells in his 1914 "A World Set
Free") -- would now design a *new* civilization to replace the old one
(and it would no longer be based on Christianity.)  But today, with
$300M+ spent on this bold plan, they have utterly failed.  "Chaos
theory" (as "Complexity theory" was originally called) has failed to
explain anything.  And it never will.  Aristotle could have told you
that.

10) In the face of this collapse, two other civilizations have stepped
in to pick up where the West left off.  China is now on the rise and
we call it the "East Sphere."  So is what we call the "Digital
Sphere," which wants to scrap humanity and replace it with "perfect"
and "immortal" machines (yes, that's where Kevin Kelly and Ray
Kurzweil &al fit in.) As a result, we now live in a world composed of
Three Spheres: East, West and Digital.  The Center for the Study of
Digital Life is the *only* organization in the world focused on
understanding this dynamic.  Yes, it's exciting out there on the edge.

11) Naturally, this new "three-body problem" (btw, the name of an
excellent Chinese science-fiction trilogy by Cixin Liu) causes a great
deal of "anxiety."  For those living in the West, it seems like
everything is going down the toilet and, in superficial "historic"
terms, that is correct.  All the dials point towards a fiery crash.
Danger Will Robinson! The current homosexual scandal in the Catholic
Church (itself caused by the same collapse of confidence in the West
50+ years ago, aka Vatian II) only adds to the sense to impending
doom.  Is the 2nd coming immanent (as Teilhard de Chardin believed)?
Are we living in the times of the Anti-Christ?

12) All this calls for a *new* psychology.  We are already in a period
of massive psychological disturbance -- for which all the previous
"treatments" are woefully inadequate.  As Talking Heads put it, the
world has turned into "Stop Making Sense."  None of the "brands" out
there can deal with this situation -- not Humanistic (which came out
of the last counter-culture), not Behavioral (which was born out of
early psychological warfare), not psychoanalysis (also an "electric"
anti-Christian approach), not Cognitive (which equates humans with
computers so they can be "programmed.")  None of them even attempts to
pull all this together.  Clearly, something new is needed.

13) Whatever new psychology develops to deal with the "depression"
that results from living in a dying civilization -- including the
hopes for colonies on Mars &c, so we can start over again -- it will
need to deal with the following reality: the robots are taking over
"work" and the humans will be left with a lot of time on their hands.
H.G. Wells wrote about this in 1895 with his "The Time Machine."  In
it he predicted that humanity would "evolve" into two "species": the
Morlocks (i.e. today's robots) and the Eloi (i.e. today's "whatever"
humans.)  Wells was a protege of T.H Huxley (which is how he became
"godfather" to his grandsons, Aldous and Julian) who, in turn, was a
protege of Darwin (actually, known as "Darwin's Bulldog.)  As things
are currently "trending," humanity looks like it is heading towards
becoming the "energy" that feeds the robots.  Giving the machines
their "maintenance" back massages.  "Machines with Loving Grace,"
indeed.

14) Dealing with a humanity (in the West) which has comprehended its
own demise -- while watching the rise of other humans, living in other
*spheres* (aka "civilizations") -- has now become our challenge.  What
is to be done (as V.I. Lenin once asked)?  What is happening today is,
in cultural terms for the West, an 8.0 on the Richter Scale.  This is
the "big one" (as they refer to California falling into the ocean.)
The West has been dominant on earth since PRINT launched its collapse
400+ years ago.  That collapse was accelerated by ELECTRICITY 100+
years ago.  Now we are DIGITAL -- what prospects for the West does
that imply . . . ??

Mark

P.S. The entire point of "What Makes Us Different?" is to distinguish
us from the robots -- not other animals.  To the extent that we allow
"systems theory," "complexity," "emergence" &c to shape our "language
games" about humans, we have already lost that battle.  Humans have
nothing in common with computers.  I was a professional computer
architect for a decade and I know what makes them tick.  Humans do
*not* "process information."  We do not have precision in our
memories.  We do not have "inputs" and "outputs."  Phooey on all that
-- if we want humanity to survive (which, to be sure, some clearly do
not want to happen, thus CRISPR.)

P.P.S.  In the East, the "equivalents" to Plato and Aristotle in the
pre-West (later expressed as Augustine and Aquinas as the Christian
West took over from pagan Rome) are Confucius and Laozi (i.e.
"Daoism.")  The Central Party School in Beijing -- which had taken up
the "Sinicization" of Marxism from 2004-11, which led to the 2nd World
Congress on Marxism I attended this past May at Peking University --
is now teaching these foundational Eastern sages to the next
generation of cadre taking over the Communist Party of China (CPC.)
Along with the Eastern "equivalent" of the Bible, the Yijing (i.e. "I
Ching")!  Just imagine St. Thomas Aquinas being mandatory for all
undergraduates at Harvard, Yale and Princeton, plus Oxford, Cambridge,
the Sorbonne and University of Berlin.  Heaven help us.