TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

May 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Lonny Meinecke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2018 22:15:27 -0400
Thanks Chance and Joe. If I may add, perhaps this is not the first time "intelligence" has subsumed and redirected animals on our planet? Significant evidence keeps cropping up that our intellectual faculties may not be "indigenous" to our biological makeup after all... but simply took up residence in us... since the two (mental and physical) seem to find mutual benefit (albeit the physical half is being pushed aside at a faster and faster pace by the expansionist mental half). Have you noticed how ideological phenomena seem amensal toward physical phenomena? Mental things view physical things as endearing yet inferior - just as our species is very amensal toward animal life, plant life, and this planet as a whole*. I look around my home and nothing in it is living -- everything alive is outside or carefully controlled inside. I even wipe down the counters, in case anything living crosses that inanimate no man's land. But long ago, we lived with each other... side by side with living things as peer companions... and each of us responded with affection, autonomy, and unpredictability. Little by little, we are getting rid of all three. What do you think?
--Lonny

*This is much of my fascination with Gregg's ToK and JH too... so many pieces seem to fit... there seems to be a "paradigm shift" going on, from living things to pure information... just as the world seems to have gone thru an anaerobic to aerobic transformation, long ago... on we go to an eternity aided by lifelessness...