TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

July 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Mark Stahlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2018 07:46:24 -0600
Joe:

Fascinating -- yes, "time" is, in many ways, the problem we face (or,
rather, our failure to understand it), from which we get the one-way
2nd-Law and all of its distracting after-effects . . . <g>

For what it's worth, my Center's work in China wrestles with these
topics and, in particular, we seem to be the only people (at least in
the geo-political circles in which we march around in circles) who
have noticed that China has scrapped "Marxism" and replaced it with
"Daoism" as well as the YIJING (aka "The Book of Changes.")  Yes, this
is an "existence in motion" attitude (at the highest cultural levels)
and, alas, we have nothing with which to "answer" it.

As Kurt Lewin, the founder of modern Social Psychology, once put it,
"There's nothing more practical than a good theory" and, indeed, we
seem to be *very* much in need of one (which is to say, we're already
in a *new* paradigm and all the old ones don't work anymore) . . . !!

Mark

P.S. When I first visited Turkey, trying to meet some *authentic*
Sufis was one of my goals.  One afternoon, my girlfriend and I were
standing at Tunel Square when a fellow approached us with what we
thought was an odd (and bold) question, "Excuse me sir and madam, are
you Sephardic or Askenazi?"  "Neither," was my answer, "We are
Khazar!" (no, not accurate but meant to elevate the conversation --
she's Jewish and I'm Catholic.)  "Oh!  I see," he replied, "Then you
will want to see the real Sufis, not the fake ones down the road put
there to entertain the tourists."  He proceeded to do just that -- at
an out-of-the-way Musicological Institute on the outskirts of Istanbul
(filled with secret police.)  I still have my Sufi "rosary" from that
trip.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__turkeytravelplanner.com_go_Istanbul_Sights_Beyoglu_galata-5Ftekke.html&d=DwIDaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=aCjQsYS6Xivfj4FgTwf9dZ1uvco8enpQDur-PX_kSKI&s=uIFVd8vPr0uJLOdgqYuGP_AXVgMVIXJF54QYa6BRbVE&e=