TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

December 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Mark Stahlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Dec 2018 09:16:02 -0700
Gregg:

Good reply . . . !!

Of course, the alternative is that "modern" psychology (and its
associated "philosophy of mind" aka "consciousness studies") invented
a problem that can't be "solved" by forgetting the "ancient"
psychology (and its associated philosophy) in the first place . . . <g>

Aristotle invented psychology (c. 400BC) -- as the study of the
"psyche" or soul -- and, until the late-1800s that seemed to "work"
for the purposes at hand.  But, if the "soul" was discarded (i.e. "God
is dead"), then something new had to be done and look what a mess it
has generated.

My view is that modern psychology was invented to try to "engineer"
humans.  Thus, its original "experimental" approach in Leipzig --
itself a long-time center for "alchemy" (and where Nietzsche first
took his "organic" LSD.)  This is why "psychological warfare" became
so important in the 20th-century.  Thus J.R. Rees's 1945 "The Shaping
of Psychiatry by War" and Tavistock, plus the ensuing Cold War &c.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.amazon.com_shaping-2Dpsychiatry-2DWilliam-2Dmemorial-2Dlectures_dp_B0007DV91Y&d=DwIBaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=9hn3WY43dvg0cToWUJR0kq-mY8GzYM_Nru1iYcxni4Y&s=gJALfVmfM-YgfuRfOFOT2IFC__oRwFmEXctVKxKkJ7E&e=

Maybe "soulless" psychology can't be fixed?  Perhaps humans can't be
engineered?  As you know, I consider you to be very *brave* for trying
. . . <g>

Mark