TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

May 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Lonny Meinecke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2018 16:25:29 -0400
Hi Gregg and Jason and ToKers,

I like your mention of the Life Instinct in the Id too, Jason. As it turns out, the nephew of a friend of mine is writing a book on it...
https://www.researchgate.net/project/The-Life-Instinct
There is some great stuff here... It also intersects pretty well with Fromm's work (necrophilia [Thanatos revised] and biophilia [Eros revised]).

Gregg, I would like to say a big *Thank You* for sharing the slides from your personality class... wish I could take it!
Can you read my mind? Sometimes you share just what I am looking for :)

Jason, about the Super Id, it may be that Freud is simply misunderstood to this day in the West. This tripartite was not meant to be translated in this way. Das Es should be translated, The Is (as in Esse, more like the being itself). The living thing. Halls' translation unfortunately connoted the It (a beast) and the Ego (self-pride), thus needing a third figure, a bigger Ego (society, aka the Uber Ich). If you look at ancient eastern philosophy, though, it gets clearer (riding into town, having tamed an ox).

But Super really means "Over" in German (uber), same as a submarine is unterseeboot (undersea boat). This is very clear when you talk about submariner stuff (German U boats were very unique). An Over-Is, or Super Is, then, would not really make sense (because you can only be completely you... not more than you, only less than you). Freud writes later about the ego/id relationship being more of a rider/horse relationship (taming followed by direction/suppression). I almost fell over when I read that, because I had been using it accidentally for a long time. No fair, Freud was always first with stuff :) The need to live in odd human societies without getting kicked out, requires that living things be on leashes.

--Lonny