From:
Robot Bill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robot Bill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 2014 11:53:42 -0400
Rajeev,

I am not sure what a "safety zone" is. I think you are referring to what is
described in the rules as the "base". In this case, the answer to your
question is yes (even if they are ..."not touching the mat"). The base is a
volume. Rules 39 and 11 provide the answer to your question.

Bill

http://www.firstlegoleague.org/sites/default/files/Challenge/FLL_WORLD_CLASS/FLL-WORLD-CLASS-Challenge-FINAL-v2.pdf

*39 - Start/Restart Position* - For the match start and all restarts:

   - EVERY BIT of the robot, including its installed attachments & wires,
   and everything touching it, and any objects it is about to move or use,
   must ALL fit COMPLETELY in Base.

*11 - Base* - Base is an imaginary box formed by vertical walls that rise
from the perimeter of the Base area, including the inside surface of the
border walls, and by an invisible ceiling 12" (30cm) high.

   - This means Base is not just an area on the mat - it’s a VOLUME.
   - The lines that define Base count as part of Base.
   - Usually there is a gap between the mat and a side border wall… Base
   includes this gap (pictured in red).