From:
"Swayne, Nick - swaynedd" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Swayne, Nick - swaynedd
Date:
Sun, 20 Jan 2019 16:18:37 +0000
Summer,

This is a great time to start thinking about FLL teams; how to join, how to find, and how to start them.  The listserv is a great place to start.  If you're on Facebook, we also have a special group for starting teams you can find through the website.

Krystian is working on building an interactive map with FLL Ambassador teams from the championship.  These are up to 108 teams that did well enough at the local level to get an invitation to our championship in December.  Once she has that up, you'll have links to contact the Ambassadors in your area and they can give you more in-person advice on the next steps available to you.

We do have team startup grants available with likely a few more on the way as well as grant support from FIRST headquarters, so if you're inclined to start a team - check with your child's school and try getting their support.  If funding is an issue, reach out to Krystian to see what's available.  Same goes if you're trying to form neighborhood teams.

Keep in mind that while we don't manage team memberships centrally - forming teams is an organic, grass-roots effort.  With more than 600 active teams in our region, there are teams in almost every community.  However, if you live in an urban area - traffic typically makes it really tough for parents to get kids reliably across town to a different school (assuming another school will allow outside students to participate).  If you live in a rural area, geographic distances (more than traffic) make cross-community team membership very challenging.

Realistically, the easiest, cheapest, and most sustainable way to get involved is to get a team started in your child's school or neighborhood.  Many of our sponsors will kick in financial support if you can get one of their employees to coach or mentor the team, so starting early - being persistent and creative are key.  FLL is a great program for kids and well worth the effort!

Nick