Sender: First Lego League in Virginia and DC <[log in to unmask]>
From: Robot Bill <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 10:02:47 -0500
I have judged Robot Design a few times. This is the first time I have heard
of the specific phrase “recovery program”, so I am also curious to see what
the specific meaning might be. I think Richard and Nari's responses below
might be spot on.

Mike, did  your team have a sequencing program which compiled all of the
programs into one main program and then executed each set of missions one
at a time? I saw a few of them during the robot performance rounds on
Sunday, but I am not sure if your team was one of the ones that did that.
If your team did, how was the program written? Did it require all of the
robot sorties from base to be executed in a specific order which could not
be changed once the main program is run? I would suspect that that might be
the source of the judge's question. Specifically, if your main program did
mission A+B then C+D+E then F+G, what do you do if the robot does not
successfully complete mission D? Are you forced to run missions F+G or can
you run mission D by itself?

If this is the case, the implementation ("something that runs in parallel
with another program, or just extra steps in the main programs, or an
entirely separate program") is entirely up to the team. I have mainly seen
either a completely separate program which is executed outside of the main
sequencing program or the main sequencing program written to enable the
individual mission programs to be executed in different mission orders. The
trade offs are programming complexity vs. operational flexibility vs. NXT
memory utilization. This might be an excellent "off season" learning area
for some of your teams (but take a few months off to catch your breath
first!).

Best Regards,
Bill Aucoin

PS: I was the referee with the turkey ref hat and Camelback on Sunday. I
think I had as much fun as your teams did. Congratulations to everybody on
a fantastic Food Factor season. You are all champions regardless of what
"booty" your team left with on Sunday. Hopefully, we'll see you all next
year, either in FLL, FTC or FRC.