From:
Ralph Grove <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randall Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2014 14:35:52 -0400
My two cents; given unlimited time I would love to have my teams figure
out every design aspect of their robots all by themselves. However,
given the time constraints I prefer to bring them my stack of books and
encourage them to look online for ideas. I consider it research and
often refer to the meme that architects have three thousand years of
bridges to which to refer when they design new bridges. I do not
consider it a good use of their time in reinventing the wheel. I have
often seen my teams meld the best ideas of more than one design in
creating their robots.

For all-rookie teams, I see nothing wrong with taking the basic LEGO
Tribot and modifying it with new attachments for the competition. Just
my opinion.

Randall Greene
The Robot Engineers #6461
9th year coach.