Sender: First Lego League in Virginia and DC <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 18:25:43 -0400
From: B Bergenstock <[log in to unmask]>
I think it would be important to  understand your mission with the kids- is
it teamwork? is it teaching robotics? is it learning how to compete with
"gracious professionalism"? Understanding your goals, and their goals for
their own team, will tell you what direction to take this into.
  I just know how much my team gets out of the research aspect so it's hard
for me to suggest that someone ignore that portion completely.  What if,
instead of an elaborate script, they did something really simple? Seriously,
just sitting down and telling the judges what they know about food safety
and what they think could be changed about it.
Like someone else said, you can ignore it completely, but then, imho, they
will not have been to a full tournament, and the next time they go it will
still seem new and unfamiliar.

  If you feel you are having trouble working as a team, then try some team
building excerises at the start and maybe finish of the meeting. Here are
some fun, creative projects, much like the ones they'll discover in the team
building judging area.
http://wilderdom.com/games/TeamBuildingExercisesWebsites.html
http://rosevilledi.bwweb.org/DataFiles/Docs0708/IC_Practice_Set.pdf

You can find even more if you google "instant challenges".  It's Destination
Imganiation's  quick creative challenges.  I mix our team building up
between dividing the team into two groups that compete and putting them
altogether to work as one group.  Debrief at the end of the exercises to see
if the team felt like they worked well together, what they thought were
their strengths, and so on.  Often as much value comes from the debriefing
as the actual exercise.
Good luck to your team,
Brandy