From:
Fredrik Nyman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Fredrik Nyman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2014 19:13:45 -0400
TL;DR: It is complicated.

Both the EV3 and the NXT sensors are sensitive to light conditions.  An
added complication is that both are calibrated to recognize brick colors,
and that colors printed on the play field are perceived differently.
Another complication is that the NXT and EV3 color sensors are different,
using different color LEDs for illumination so that they get very different
results for Color Sensor > Compare > Reflected Light Intensity,
particularly for red.

If the light is just right,Color Sensor > Compare > Color will work
nicely.  And if it isn't, it won't.

If you want a robust solution:
1. Use the yellow Color Sensor > Calibrate > Maximum and > Minimum blocks
to calibrate for black and white at the tournament
2. Use Color Sensor > Compare > Reflected Light Intensity instead of Color
Sensor > Compare > Color; it is a bit less sensitive to light conditions.