From:
Stephen Scherr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephen Scherr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 2010 09:15:07 -0400
Viquar,
  This is a good question and will help to clarify a couple of things.

1)  Attachment vs Robot -- For our purposes, the robot is the NXT or RCX
controller and everything the team connects to it ("connected" is defined in
Rule 13).  An attachment is something that the team builds and connects to
the "main" robot sometime before or during the match.  While the attachment
and the main robot are connected to each other, the attachment is part of
the robot.  So, if the robot has a grabber arm to go pick up something from
the field, and part of the grabber arm crosses the boundary of Base, then
there is no touch penalty to bring the entire robot into Base.

2)  Touching Objects in Base--If the robot has an attachment or other object
and pushes it into Base and then the robot separates from it, then the
attachment or object is not part of the robot.  The team may touch the
attachment or object and bring it entirely into Base (rule 17--Handling
Allowed).  But, once the team touches the object it must be brought
completely into Base or the storage area, and must not be made to extend out
of Base by hand (Rule 18, bullet 1, with limited exception for temporary
storage.)

For your question, I assume that you meant that the attachment is connected
to the robot, and is controlling the nurse figure.  Then, yes, when the
figure and the attachment cross into Base, then the nurse figure and the
robot should both be brought completely into Base, and there is no touch
penalty.

Special Case:  if the nurse is being transported by the robot, and the nurse
crosses into Base, but no part of the robot is in Base, and the team touches
the nurse, then Rule 22 says that there is a touch penalty, because the
robot (including connecting attachments) has to cross into Base itself to
avoid the penalty.  This is unlikely to happen, but it's the kind of thing
the referees try to prepare for in advance.....

Steve