Sender:
From:
Lloyd O'Hara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Nov 2013 16:09:05 -0500
I believe your interpretation is correct but only because nowhere does the mission or the update specifically say you cannot move the penalty piece out of the runway:

GAME PENALTY
If a penalty is earned (as described here and in the Rules), the ref places a roof debris model on the west-most possible roof mark which

is completely empty. Placement is expected to be closely aligned on the mark, but may not be perfect. For penalties after the 4th, the

west-most debris is placed as far as possible into the northeast corner of the LT blue region. The robot may not remove debris from the

LT blue region.

Value: ANY IN LT BLUE.?- 13 EACH, ANY OUTSIDE LT BLUE.?- 10 EACH

31 - ROOF DEBRIS CHAOS
The referee depends on the final locations of the penalty roof debris pieces as an accounting system.  Therefore:  If the robot moves a roof debris piece into or out of Lt Blue, the referee will shift it back over the Lt Blue line in the direction it came from.

21 - CALCULATING ROOF PENALTIES
You can get up to eight sprawl and/or touch penalties, as represented by the roof debris on the mat.  The Missions page is unclear on the following fact:  Here is the cost for penalty accumulation:  1=10, 2=20, 3=30, 4=40, 5=53, 6=66, 7=79, 8=92.  Sorry for the confusion.  This far into the season I would normally be unable to make such a serious correction, but I trust no one was developing a penalty-based strategy.

3 - RUNWAY CONFLICT
Objects scoring in the YELLOW zone don't count as being on the runway, and won't cause the loss of your clear runway points.  When roof debris is in the LT BLUE zone, same thing, it won't ruin your runway points.

While I think you are correct. it still would be nice to get clarification on the rule.  If only to make sure the rules are applied consistently.

Suffice it to say,  we did not understand the rule well enough yesterday so, in the end, it correctly cost 40 points (10 for the penalty and 30 for the no longer clear runway).

Lloyd O'Hara

The Crestwood Monarchs.