From:
Andy Traiger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andy Traiger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Nov 2011 10:52:22 -0500
Our team has almost indisputable evidence from last year's state tournament
of a parent from a team on the adjacent table taking rapid shots with the
flash going off multiple times a second having an impact on our robot.  As
our robot came to spot where it needed to find a black line and respond, the
sensor reading it got must have looked to light and it kept going well past
where the black line was, even though the sensor went right across the line
without noticing it.  Our sensor was shielded pretty well from the front,
but it wasn't possible to shield the side of the sensor well and this is the
angle our robot was in with respect to the camera when it went astray and
never found the line it was hunting for.  We were all surprised at the
failure (which caused us to lose about 50 points) and it wasn't until we
were watching the footage later that night that we noticed the continuous
flash photography next to our table and pointing right at our robot.  So
coaches, please have your parents abide by rule of no flash photography
during matches.

Andy Traiger

Vienna Robotics

  _____