Sender:
Date:
Wed, 21 Oct 2015 15:36:06 -0400
From:
VA-DC Referee Advisor <[log in to unmask]>
To: VADCFLL-L <[log in to unmask]>
Note for all teams:  If you haven't seen the Robot Game updates from 15
October 2015 yet, go to the Challenge page at
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.firstlegoleague.org_challenge_2015trashtrek&d=BQIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=k6Oa5GxfBPFMgGjb2r5QIoEOeBZs9xbNIpA0kLw_kFQ&m=cOo7e8CcxIAr8MJM4XyyXX6fWr-DJwVCh_INwq7LOjA&s=fet3kyj-EtxKxuhawbumGLIiiF1Vqop4uLUQ0h904wc&e=  and right-click (or
the equivalent) to download the Challenge Updates file from the link.
Many different browsers will only display the first two pages instead of
all 4.

As noted in the Challenge Updates from 15 October, #14, it is possible to
get 110 points from the Transport Mission.
"The Transport Mission max score is indeed 110. This is the meaning you
were supposed to take from “score one or both.” Think it
through, and use high caution when throwing around the word “impossible” -
especially in FIRST LEGO League."

As seen in the mission, to score all of the possible 110 points, the
referee has to see both of the following at the end of the match:
(1) The Truck supports all of the Yellow Bin’s weight.
(2) The Yellow Bin is completely east of the Truck’s Guide.

How the team makes that happen isn't important (as long as they obey the
game Rules.)

Specific answers to Laurie's questions:
Question:  Does this mean to score all of the possible 110 points the bin
still has to be on the truck and the part of the truck that contains the
bin or the entire truck must be completely east of the guide?
Answer:  Yes, the bin has to be supported by the Truck.  No, the position
of the Truck isn't what the ref looks at, it's the position of the Bin.  If
the Truck is supporting the entire weight of the Yellow Bin, and the Yellow
Bin is completely east of the guide, then it doesn't matter is some part of
the Truck is not east of the guide.

Question:  In order to do this the truck must get over the stopper at the
end of the rail without the bin coming off the truck?
Answer:  How the team tries to accomplish the end result is up to them.
"Must" is a very strong word.  Neither the Rules nor the Missions state
that "the Truck must get over the stopper without the Bin falling off", so
that isn't necessarily important

Question:  If I am reading this correctly, the team must find a way to get
the bin completely away, or not in contact through the truck, the guide at
all to be considered east of the truck guide?
Answer:  No, the Yellow Bin is allowed to be in contact with the Truck and
still be east of the guide.
If this were a question about strategy to accomplish the mission, then that
would be for the team to discuss among themselves, and not for this forum.

Steve Scherr
Virginia-DC FLL Referee Advisor