Sender:
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2012 12:47:32 -0400
8bit
From:
Betsy Wilco <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
Well, there are lots of variables, and no one solution works in all situations, of course.
You could try starting with a contract. If the four of you sit down, you, the parents, and the child, and discuss what is and what is not appropriate behavior, and everyone signs it, then at least there is something to go back to. Then you need to track it, of course. The idea is to find a way to give attention to positive behavior until it becomes the norm. Quietly remove him from the activities for a few minutes if he is out of line, publicly recognize his positive behavior. You can't fix this long term for this kid working with him for such a short period of time, but you should at least make acceptable behavior a little more the norm in your setting.
Just an idea!
Betsy Wilco
Gifted Resource Teacher
Prince William County Schools
703.754.9061

>>> John Barrett 08/27/12 12:09 PM >>>

How do you deal with a team member who thrives on negative attention? I'm an engineer and have always had great respect for teachers. After my first season of FLL a few years ago, I decided that I could never be a teacher. 3 hours each weekend took it all out of me. I couldn't imagine working in an environment like that full time! And for the most part, my teams have had really good kids who listen and like to learn. Again this year, I have a good set of kids. One of them, though, likes to push the boundaries of acceptable behavior just a little too far and seems to thrive on the attention it brings him. He struggles with anger management, as well.

I coached him last year and was hesitant to including him on the team this year. I did work with him individually last year and I could see him grow throughout the season. While this is a Good Thing, it also took time and energy away from the rest of the team (which in my mind, is not fair to everyone else).

I have talked with him and his parents about the upcoming season. We've discussed specific incidents from last year and expectations for this year. While this is a good start, I know that a 30 minute conversation is not going change who he is. And I'm not looking forward to being a coach who continually watching out and correcting behavioral issues and refereeing interactions.

So what strategies do other coaches employ to deal with disruptive team members like this? Any and all ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,

John

--

John J. Barrett