From:
Darlene Pantaleo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Darlene Pantaleo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 2008 08:34:11 -0400
Feedback can be given to teams in the form of comments and notes, and
that's what it should be. We only use the scores as a means of
helping us with the difficult task of choosing one of the many
deserving teams to get an award. We look at more than just the
interview and the numbers. Teams are observed in the pit and on the
playing field as well.

You must keep in mind that the scores are more of a sliding scale in
several different categories, and that they are subjective. Having
the numbers means nothing. Also, you have no idea what you are being
compared to. It's not like the Miss USA pageant where everything is
done in front of the audience. In other words, you may get upset if
you have a 2 out of 4, when in fact that 2 may be very good and as
high as any team scored in that category for that event. Your team
could very well have done an excellent job, but another team has done
an equally excellent job. Not winning does not necessarily mean that
your team needs to improve.

Have the kids focus on doing their best, rather than worrying about
being judged. Then they'll know whether they did a great job without
anyone needing to tell them.

Darlene Pantaleo
Judge Advisor