From:
Tom Bove <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 2010 18:46:49 -0500
I set up a 501c3 for our team (first year Div 1 FLL.)  It will run approx
$500, but it opened up getting corporate sponsors.  I did it all myself- so
there were no lawyer fees, etc.  The NOLO book series is a good step by step
guide.  You'll have to incorporate in your state first, but need to know the
federal (IRS) requirements so that you can have the correct language in your
founding documents.  Part of the application process is being able to
document your charitable purpose- we submitted copies of our website, fund
raising letter, general information about FLL, and our organizational
documents.  The overall process took approx 2 months (in Virginia.)

The only concern when you get into pass through situations is that if you
are the downstream team, you have the potential issue of the 501c3 not
passing the donation along to you.  (Donors to charitable organizations are
not allowed to control their gifts- so you want to make sure you have a good
relationship with the 501c3.) If you are the 501c3, your concern is making
sure that the donated money is being used for the stated charitable purpose.

While I was waiting for my non-profit approval, I did have a Booz Allen
donation get funneled through another FLL group.  It was fine, but you do
feel like you have no control over the funds.

Tom